• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbors CCTV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors CCTV

Hey,

Looking for some advice.*

My neighbor (house directly opposite) has just put up a CCTV camera on the front of his house. I inspected it and it’s directly looking into our property meaning that we are potentially being recorded not just entering our own house but also any of our rooms unless we have the blinds closed or curtains drawn. We only live down a small road so the house opposite is quite close.*

To be honest it’s made my wife feel very uneasy particularly that it’s facing our 2 year old sons bedroom. I do not think that the neighbors have put it up for any other reason than security but I don’t like being recorded in my own home.*

i approached the neighbor about it and he said it’s just for security. *I asked if he could face it away from my property which he said he will see what he can do but he has not done anything. I approached him again for which his wife got involved and was very rude stating that I was accusing them of being basically perverts. I had not, I had simply stated that I wasn’t comfortable with the camera covering my childs bedroom.*

She is a complete hot head anyway and unreasonable. I’d already had 2 altercations with her. Once when we had recently moved in, we had a number of trades men doing various bits of work on the house and they kept in parking in the pavement directly outside our house. She went completely nuts at one of them and then nuts at me. I apologized at the time as we were new neighbors and didn’t want to upset anyone.*

Second time we had a few deliveries when we weren’t in and the delivery people had a habit of knocking on their door to take delivery on our behalf. Well she got fed up with that and just decided to start launching them into our garden. (She could have just refused delivery) We would find parcels in the middle of our garden which were signed for by her.*

So we just stopped ordering stuff and now only do click and collect or when we can guarantee that one of us will be in.*

This time I did lose my cool in regards to the cctv. She was shouting at me and I just said unless the camera is moved then I’m ripping it down. Of course I won’t actually do that. (Heat of the moment thing).*

but I would like to know where I stand legally on this.*

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

If there is a CCTV on private property it must not cover external property.* She should be able to tilt the camera down so that it doesn't include your property.* Contact the ICO.

Comment

As Ostell suggests you can contact the ICO and report the matter, but depending on how you want to handle it, you could be a little more assertive. It is perfectly legal for someone to put up CCTV to monitor their home and to deter intruders, but the moment that it extends beyond their house, it becomes a privacy issue.

Under the Human Rights Act 1998 you have a right to respect for private and family life (Article 8). If indeed your neighbour has it pointing towards your house then they are likely to be breaking the law. Also, there has bee a relatively recent case on the use of CCTV (for more info do a Google search for "Rynes CCTV") where a person had been fined for failing to register as a data controller because the CCTV extended beyond their property. The ICO also has guidance on the use of CCTV if you look on their website.

Anyway, since you've tried to talk to them politely, you could write a letter to them and politely point out that you've concerns that the camera is directed towards your house which, if that is the case, impedes on your right to privacy and family life. Check the registered and assuming they are not registered, point that out and ask them to re-position the camera so that it only covers their property. Ask them to confirm in writing that they've done this but if you don't hear from them then you will have to contact the ICO and consider other options (including the possibility of legal proceedings) to ensure that your rights are respected. Round it off by saying that you would prefer to have an amicable discussion on the matter and come to an agreement and would be happy to discuss a way forward.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

When I erected cctv I have one camera pointing acost the road showing just the edge of both our neighbours front fence, I called both neighbours in showed them the pictures, they approved camera*
        not showing there property. As above you are not allowed to show property other than your own.*

Comment

Originally posted by Archie.2 View Post
          When I erected cctv I have one camera pointing acost the road showing just the edge of both our neighbours front fence, I called both neighbours in showed them the pictures, they approved camera
          not showing there property. As above you are not allowed to show property other than your own.
          Still, setting up CCTV that goes beyond your own home requires you to register with the ICO and comply with the necessary requirements of the GDPR and DPA 2018, including ensuring that necessary notices are given to passers-by that they may be recorded.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You should probably discuss that with your neighbors. It goes against human privacy life rights. Nobody is allowed to follow you. When I faced that issue, I decided not to put cameras that way I could see my neighbors' backyard. The Ajax company suggested me to install motion detectors instead and we put one indoor camera in the corridor. So, the system works great even without that camera that would show naked neighbors swimming in the pool. I truly recommend you to ask a lawyer for help if can't solve that issue by yourself.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X