• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Top things to consider when buying a property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top things to consider when buying a property

My sister and I are interested in buying a new property this year and we’re also thinking of seeking the assistance of this team of estate agents Plymouth that we’ve found online. However, we haven’t experienced buying property before. Can you give us some tips on what important things we should consider? Your replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Hi,

I think you might find it difficult other than generic examples which you can find from doing a bit of research yourself. I'm in the same process as you and my research took me to a very useful website https://www.theadvisory.co.uk/. Although a good chunk is aimed at sellers, if you check the free guides menu you will see there is some information about the conveyancing process that explains it from the buyer's position as well as other information like costs.

Here's some other tips I've found along the way.

1. Should you instruct a licensed conveyancer or solicitor? Check this link for a comparison. I have chosen to instruct a solicitor for mine as I feel more comfortable if there are hiccups or more complex issues rather than a conveyancer.

2. Get several quotes from various conveyancers and solicitors. I've found a lot of the time the price is tied to the purchase price of the property in some way. The website link I referred to above does talk about different ways that you can be charged. I've decided to go online too through Digital Move (link here) which provides a quote from local firms of solicitors or conveyancers and everything is done online. You can message, keep track of progress, send through documents etc. I found that the quotes vary and cheapest doesn't always mean best. Do your research on the firm you pick, google them find out if there are other reviews floating around the web, have they been in the news recently and any bad press? Also worth ringing them up and asking how busy they are because that might delay the progress of your purchase.

3. Look at instructing a firm that offers no sale, no fee. You will need to pay for disbursements but if the sale falls through you pay no legal fees. I think the Digital Move website offers that for all firms who are signed up to the website but double check if you do consider using it.

3. Google "Questions to ask your conveyancer" and put together a list of important questions you want answered before instructing, preferably get it in writing.

4. Consider getting homebuyer's insurance. I've purchase this as a caution but it means you are protected if you end up paying fees but your purchase falls through. I've got cover for 6 months but usually minimum is 3 months at around £50. Also check the terms and conditions and exclusions as well as the maximum payout cover.

5. If you can, view the property at different times of the day, especially in the evening and see if there are groups of kids or other things going on. Make sure to have a viewing of the property before the contracts are exchanged in case there's other damage or issues that wasn't there before (I will be doing this closer to the time).

6. If you can afford it, opt for the Homebuyer's Report as a minimum and not just a valuation when having the house surveyed. A friend of mine had a valuation only and is regretting it because the house is falling down and things he wasn't aware of due to non-expertise. Also if you are looking to do extensions or serious renovations consider getting a building (use to be called full structural survey) as that will do everything on the HB report and then some except a valuation.

7. You will also need to consider each of your share of the property if the amount is not equal.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi. Got it. Tnx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X