• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Illegal lockout by flatmate and facing landlord eviction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal lockout by flatmate and facing landlord eviction

Hi there,

I was hoping for some advice on my current housing situation

Currently tied in to a joint AST agreement with a fixed term end date of 16 December 2019.

Due to issues with harassment and threats of violence from my current flatmate I was forced to leave the flat for a few days however, I did leave most of my possessions inside the flat. While I was out of the flat my flatmate changed the locks on the door without the consent of me or my landlord and has since refused entry to all parties.

This was reported to Met police who advised that as this is a civil matter they themselves could not force entry to the flat however they could accompany me to the flat but access would need to be arranged and guaranteed prior to the visit. There has no been back and forth between myself and the landlord who refuses to go in and change the locks as they are saying they will not get involved in tenancy disputes. Is it my responsibility to have a locksmith in to change the locks or should that be the landlord? And at what point does this become theft of property since she is not allowing me access to my own possessions?

Further to all of this our contract end date is coming up on 16 December 2019 and my flatmate has stated her intention not to vacate the flat on this date. How does this implicate me as joint tenant? And if i myself make an effort to vacate on the contract end date, am I still technically tied to the flat by our joint agreement and liable to face eviction charges?

Many thanks in advance

Tags: None

Originally posted by Kenns1885 View Post
    Hi there,

I was hoping for some advice on my current housing situation

Currently tied in to a joint AST agreement with a fixed term end date of 16 December 2019.

Due to issues with harassment and threats of violence from my current flatmate I was forced to leave the flat for a few days however, I did leave most of my possessions inside the flat. While I was out of the flat my flatmate changed the locks on the door without the consent of me or my landlord and has since refused entry to all parties.

This was reported to Met police who advised that as this is a civil matter they themselves could not force entry to the flat however they could accompany me to the flat but access would need to be arranged and guaranteed prior to the visit. There has no been back and forth between myself and the landlord who refuses to go in and change the locks as they are saying they will not get involved in tenancy disputes. Is it my responsibility to have a locksmith in to change the locks or should that be the landlord? And at what point does this become theft of property since she is not allowing me access to my own possessions?

Further to all of this our contract end date is coming up on 16 December 2019 and my flatmate has stated her intention not to vacate the flat on this date. How does this implicate me as joint tenant? And if i myself make an effort to vacate on the contract end date, am I still technically tied to the flat by our joint agreement and liable to face eviction charges?

Many thanks in advance

As is a joint tenancy your still legal obliged pay your half of the rent, from 16th December tenancy will go periodic....

As she want to stay, Have a read of this https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._joint_tenancy

If you need further advice contact CAB, Shelter or Local Law centre.

Search below using your postcode

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...tizens-advice/

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/local_services

https://www.lawcentres.org.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X