• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Purchase of freehold (House)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase of freehold (House)

We bought our current property in December 2018 as a leasehold house with the intention of purchasing the freehold. As is always the case with a new house other things have taken priority until a letter from the freeholder's agent received yesterday (unsolicited) has focused our attention to the freehold situation again.

The letter states that the freeholder is looking to sell their freehold interest.

They are offering the freehold to us for £3130. The letter states that this price 'includes the £40.00 Land Registry fee that would be necessary to register your purchase and our processing charges' Can I assume that this is therefore an 'all in' cost and the only other costs to me would be my own solicitors fee for handing the purchase.

Some background information, we bought the house for £215,000 in December 2018, it has 980 years left on the lease and the annual charge is £112.00.

So a couple of questions, does the offer price seem reasonable for the purchase of the freehold? Is it the case that the cost of freehold purchase would be negotiable? or is that unlikely to be acceptable.
    Finally, could anyone approximate the cost of solicitors fees to handle my side of the purchase? ( I have been told to expect the costs to be roughly equal to the fees charged for the original purchase of the house) Would that be correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Tags: None

It is crucial to know how whether the annual charge increases during the 980 years. I have assumed non-increasing, but please confirm.

I think the £3k price being asked is a little on the high side, compared to the prices at which ground rents change hands between professionals. However, it's worth a bit more to you. You can always write back and offer £2000, say.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it is a non-increasing charge

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X