• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent - Compensation for flooded apartment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - Compensation for flooded apartment

Hi there
    I am living in a new build apartment and have had two major floods within a six week period.
    I have now been informed that the floods were due to botched drain work when the builders and developers rushed to complete the project in April as they were behind schedule and cut many corners.
    After a very stressful few weeks, the manager of the building company responsible has replaced my carpet but there are still a number of other issues they need to sort.
    The building manager has asked me to come back to him with a figure for compensation and I wonder if anyone can advise what level I should be asking?
    I should also mention that I am currently off work on long term sick leave, having had major life saving surgery for a stress related condition earlier this year and I also suffer from anxiety and depression. However, I have been trying to get back into some form of work over the last six weeks, working from home for a new venture, which has been impossible due to the nightmare I have suffered.
    The apartment is two bedrooms with two bathrooms. My thoughts are to say that should I have been in a one bedroom apartment, I would have had to move into a hotel and the average cost of this is £80 per night for 5 weeks. Also, I have suffered loss of earnings from the new venture in the region of £500 per week; therefore requesting a figure of £5,300, knowing they will be negotiating me down from this.
    What are people's thoughts and any further advice regarding legal rights?
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

It would seem that liability is admitted, so you are only dealing with quantum.

You need to draw up a schedule of:
    :actual loss i.e. damage to possessions and any refurbishment & redecoration costs.
    Consequential loss i.e. Loss of earnings, loss of amenity
    Compensation for distress and inconvenience.

The object of damages is to put you back in the position you would have been in, as far as money can do it, had the incidents not occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
      It would seem that liability is admitted, so you are only dealing with quantum.

You need to draw up a schedule of:
      :actual loss i.e. damage to possessions and any refurbishment & redecoration costs.
      Consequential loss i.e. Loss of earnings, loss of amenity
      Compensation for distress and inconvenience.

The object of damages is to put you back in the position you would have been in, as far as money can do it, had the incidents not occurred.
      Thank you very much for your help x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X