• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selective Licensing & consulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective Licensing & consulation

I'm having a bit of fun with a former landlord who I'm aiming to serve a Rent Repayment Order on. The problem I'm now having is that I think my Council's selective licensing department is mis interpreting the law. The issue is that according to their own guidelines I should, as a tenant in the property for more than 3 years, have been consulted before a license was issued. The council is now saying that I should not have been consulted at all.

The Council says

"I can confirm that the Council conform to the requirements of Schedule 5 of the Housing Act 2004 which sets out the meaning of “relevant person” for the purposes of consultation. The Act specifically states that any tenant who has an unexpired lease of 3 years or less is excluded from the consultation process prior to awarding a Selective Licence. That is why you were not consulted."

Schedule 5 says, in the only reference to 3 years at all

"13(1)In this Part of this Schedule “licence” means a licence under Part 2 or 3 of this Act.
    (2)In this Part of this Schedule “relevant person”, in relation to a licence under Part 2 or 3 of this Act, means any person (other than a person excluded by sub-paragraph (3))—

(a)who, to the knowledge of the local housing authority concerned, is—

(i)a person having an estate or interest in the HMO or Part 3 house in question, or

(ii)a person managing or having control of that HMO or Part 3 house (and not falling within sub-paragraph (i)), or

(b)on whom any restriction or obligation is or is to be imposed by the licence in accordance with section 67(5) or 90(6).

(3)The persons excluded by this sub-paragraph are—

(a)the applicant for the licence and (if different) the licence holder, and

(b)any tenant under a lease with an unexpired term of 3 years or less."

If correct this means tenants are never consulted.

Is this correct ? And if not, why not ?

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X