• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Building work causing damage to neighbours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building work causing damage to neighbours

Hiya

First post here, I appreciate any advice people may give me.

I have employed a builder to do work on the exterior of my house.

He employed a scaffolder to erect scaffold.

The scaffolder damaged a power cable which has broken several neighbours boilers that require replacing.

The scaffolder says he does not have insurance.

The builder is currently questioning why should they be liable.

I believe that as the builders were responsible for employing the scaffolder then all costs should be filed against him and then he recoups from the scaffolder.

I am worried that I may have to end up paying for this if the builder denies responsibility.

Any help us gratefully received.

Thank you
    Lee
    Tags: None

Firstly how does a power break damage a boiler? I would query that.

If you have no contract with the scaffolder then as your contract is with the builder you claim against the builder and he claims from the scaffolder.

Comment

Hiya
      Thank you for your reply.
      I have no contract with the scaffolder, the builder employed him.

The engineer who inspected the boilers says there was a power surge that has fried the internal circuits.

Thank you

Comment

Hmmmm...... But let the builder's insurance assessors sort that out. How one gets a surge when I presume he shorted the lines out I fail to see.

Comment

The neighbours could proceed against you as the builders were your agents . You would then have to proceed against the builder who in turn proceeds against the scaffolders for negligence.
          Hopefully the builder, unlike the scaffolder, will have public liability insurance.

I would suggest that you contact your household insurers as your policy probably includes a public liability section.
          As there is a possibility of a claim you should inform them as soon as possible

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X