• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consent and Postponement of Deed - First Direct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent and Postponement of Deed - First Direct

I am buying a house with my partner, but only she will be on the mortgage and title.

I fully understand and accept the implications of this.

First Direct have sent a Letter of Consent and Postponement by Deed through the solicitor. He has advised I get legal advice before signing, and the letter says FD "Strongly recommends" me to get legal advice. I understand exactly what this letter means, so I don't feel the need to spend money to get it explained and witnessed by another solicitor. As there's no requirement to get advice, can I get anyone (over 18) to witness provided they would, if necessary, be an adequate witness in court? Not family or anyone involved in the house of course.

Just as an aside, the whole witnessing thing seems a bit of a mess. Legally on this sort of form I'm sure I could get a 100 year old to witness although they would be unlikely to prove much help in a possible future court case. And it asks for "occupation" although I believe the old requirements of needing a "doctor, lawyer or civil engineer" or other upstanding local citizen have long gone. I stand to be corrected of course.
    Tags: None

A witness must have mental capacity and not be under the age of 18. The same person may witness more than one signature but must sign and complete the details below every signature witnessed. A party to the deed cannot witness the signature of another party to the deed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X