• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kerb ramps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerb ramps

Hi all

First of all Im not sure if this is the right section so I apologise if it isn’t.

Anyway at my house there is no scope to make off road parking at the front as it’s two rows of houses facing each other with a footpath and gardens going through the middle. There is scope to turn some of the rear garden in to off road parking.

It it will be nothing permanent with it just being constructed using gravel. There is no footpath to cross as my boundary ends at the kerb and the road is just for access to the rear of the houses on my row and the row behind. It’s a no through road so god knows why they didn’t build them as the front instead of the rear, but that’s a different story lol.

Now because there here is no footpath to cross I was thinking of just getting some kerb ramps which have the domed end caps and high vis markings for the protection of the occasional car, pedestrian etc but I’m not sure where I stand regarding the law. The only information I can find is regarding if you have to cross a footpath, then you legally need to get a dropped kerb put in.

I have attached a picture of the ramps I mean

Any advice will be greatly received
    The exact kerb ramps I will be getting
    Tags: None

Hi

Is it an adopted road?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

To be perfectly honest I don’t know. All i know is that they are all ex miners houses with some houses being privately owned and others still being council owned. There are a couple of old council owned garages at the top which they are on about knocking down.

Some houses do have these ramps so a presedent has kind of been set but id rather not “be a sheep and follow” unless i am allowed too.

I have asked the council for advice but all they bang on about is that i need a dropped kerb to cross a pavement. What they can’t seem to get to grip with is the fact there is no pavement to cross or any public area (grass verge etc) and my boundary is right on the kerb

Comment

Don’t know if this helps but this map shows the road (ive highlighted it in red), but it shows the road has no name and is off the main road. The road also has no street lighting

Comment

Here?:
          https://goo.gl/maps/3T5y13EgFbv

Comment

Yeah thats the one although it isn’t classed as melrose rd even though google says it is lol.

Comment

Personally I'd just go ahead. The worst that can happen is that, assuming the council eventually finds out or even cares, will just tell you to remove it. I'd use a piece of wood like some of your neighbours, that ramp is asking to be nicked (but then I live in the south where everything has to be nailed down and alarmed if you want tokeep hold of it!!)

Comment

Cheers mate thats what im thinking. Yes it would need bolting down (and it can be). Its not to bad really. Yes there are a few but they look after so to speak and never do the dirty on any of us in the area. The worst we get in the area is the smell of weed.

I might just do what you said about the wood because as you say if the council do decide to funny in the future over the ramps im not wasting as much money

Comment

Almost certainly not an adopted road.

I'd just go for it!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X