• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Costly Roof Replacement - Section 20 consultation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costly Roof Replacement - Section 20 consultation

Dear and most Esteemed Legal Beagles!
    I own a share of Freehold on a property with 30 flats. Every flat is a shareholder. A long long time ago the shareholders elected a few Directors who are empowered to make decisions on behalf of everybody per the lease contract. Since then the Directors have been appointing themselves every year which may seem a bit back-scratching but isn't the main point. The main problem I have now is that the Directors and the management company they brought in to manage the estate, have reached the conclusion that the roof needs replacement, and would like to charge each flat an eye-watering sum in excess of £10k for this work. The roof indeed is leaky and from the 60s, they brought a surveyor company who wrote a report stating that the lowest-cost option to replace the roof is to pay this amount. The next step is to engage in a Sec. 20 consultation, before a tender is issued. The Directors are in a rush to get the work started next spring, which means their stated intent (as communicated in the last EGM of the tenants association) is to raise the sum of £10k from each flat by April, in order to pay for the works.
    I will be grateful for any advice, is there a practical way to stop the process, as the work seems to be very expensive. At the very least I would like to delay the work by 1 year to allow time to gather the money. On the other hand if the roof replacement is indeed necessary still I feel the cost is too high. Unfortunately at the last EGM all other leaseholders acquiesced with this mad plan (I'm not sure why and where are they planning to magic out the 10k but I don't have this kind of money...).

Any advice or feedback will be much appreciated!

Warmest regards
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Tags: None

You might look at the guides here
    https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...panies-agents/

you could probably tie this up for a while by referring to the tribunal, but at some cost to yourself and to the freeholders, ie yourself again!

You may May think this is a mad scheme, but the folks living under the roof probably think otherwise! They will certainly not thank you for holding the repair up. If you think it's too expensive what have you done to come up with a better idea? I think your best bet is to treat this in a positive way, as everyone will thank you for saving them money but not for leaving the roof leaking.

Comment

Is there two floors in this house or only one? After all, only those tenants who live under the roof should be paid for repairing the roof.

Comment

Not only has Jack replied to a thread that has been inactive 4 years, but he is of course wrong. First of all, the lease will make it clear what the tenant may be liable to pay for. Second, a sound roof benefits all flats in the building.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X