• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Application to set aside statutory demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application to set aside statutory demand

Hi, I would really appreciate any help as I am defending myself. I received a statutory demand for over £100,000 which I do not owe. I applied to have this set aside and sent my witness statement and evidence to the county court. A hearing has been set for September. The respondent creditor was ordered to send a witness statement in response to my application last week. I have not received anything and neither has the court. I emailed the court to ask what happens now and have been told that the hearing will go ahead. This does not seem fair as they have my evidence and I don’t have any idea what they will say or show in court. Shouldn’t the demand be thrown out as the letter from the court said they MUST send me and the court a witness statement to the application. Thanks for any help.
    Tags: None

The court will decide whether you have made out grounds on which the demand should be set aside.

I have acted in cases where the evidence supporting the application simply didn't stand up, so there was no need to reply.

So: concentrate on persuading the court that your statement shows good reasons to set this statutory demand aside.

NB you can object to late service of any statements. Make sure the judge knows that you object and why.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you so much for getting back to me. In their statutory demand they have not provided any evidence that I owe them the money, they have just stated how much I owe. They have not provided any documentation or even the contract we had. As the debt has never been established or accepted I don’t understand how a judge can bankrupt me based on just their word. Will they be able to provide evidence in court as they have not already submitted it? From what I have read, statutory demands are for situations such as you’ve received a product or service and then not paid for it. This situation is far more complicated than that but the claimant does not want to pay the court fees associated with a court case and so is trying this instead as it is free. Do you think I need a barrister to go to court with me and if it gets set aside or if they do not show up do you think the judge would make them pay my legal fees? Thanks

Comment

As I said, you need to concentrate on persuading the court that your statement shows good reasons to set this statutory demand aside. You can also point out any inadequacies in the demand itself.

If you ask whether I think you need a barrister to represent you then you probably do. If you are successful, you would normally get an order that the other party pay your costs.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X