• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bin Fine - I need Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bin Fine - I need Help!

In February, me and my uni housemates received a fine for leaving our bins out on a non collection day. I was deep into my overdraft and stupidly photoshopped the dates of an old train ticket to show that I wasn’t at the address at the time the ‘offence’ was committed. They accepted this as an excuse and the fine was dropped. Last week (November) I received an email invitation to attend a PACE interview regarding a bin fine. There has been no indication that the interview is regarding the photoshopped ticket, but there’s nothing else I can think it could be about. What’s my best course of action? Fess up at the interview and come clean? Or say I cant remember what happened in February? If that I was to do that, what would the outcome be for either approach? Fine? Criminal record? If so, what impact would that have on my job prospects? I am extremely stressed and would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    Tags: None

One thing is for sure - DO NOT ATTEND WITHOUT A SOLICITOR! Any record will impact you - they may say they will "just" give you a warning but this remains on record. I would get your solicitor to ask the police what the interview is about and go from there.

Comment

Again, do not allow an interview without having a solicitor present. The duty solicitor scheme provides one for free.

Comment

Is the OP being invited to a PACE interview at a police station, or at the offices of the council's environment enforcement officers? (Or whatever they're called). I presume it's the council prosecuting him and not the police. Will there be a duty solicitor present as a matter of course?

Comment

They said the police and a PACE internview. You are correct Manxman it would normally be a council interview and the council would decide whether to prosecute. No duty solicitor available as you say. Even if council I would say do not attend without a solicitor. Hope the OP comes back and gives us more info

Comment

I don't think the OP mentioned the police - just PACE. I suppose the question is whether a PACE interview can only be conducted by the police? (I assume not as I presume Trading Standards officers involved in prosecutions can carry out PACE interviews, so I presume other council enforcement officers may be able to do so as well. But I may be completely mistaken about that).

In any case, I presume being found guilty of leaving your bin out on the wrong day* (as anti-social as that is) wouldn't result in a recordable criminal conviction?

As you say, it would be helpful to have some relevant detail.

*I hope it's nothing potentially more serious like the OP unwisely altering their train ticket dates to make it appear that they weren't at home at the relevant time and date?

Comment

Hi Manxman - the OP did photoshop the ticket...

Comment

Surely this entire matter should be dealt with in compliance with section.46A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 ?

Comment

No. The bin fine, perhaps, but the photoshopping of the evidence is a straight criminal offence of either fraud, perversion of the course of justice, or producing a false instrument.

Comment

Thank you DSPILLY , my learned friend & hope that JFW1798 understands.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X