• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What's my next course of action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my next course of action

I split up with my ex and allowed her to stay in the jointly owned jointly mortgaged house for the last few years.

Recently a labourer burnt a very valuable grade 2 listed oak floor .

He's admitted doing it through my x solicitors but said in his opinion it was rotten.

I have dealt in reclaimed flooring for 25 years it was not rotten.

Either way it was my floor on my land.

But I don't know what to do next ?

Or legally where I stand.

Thanks again.
    Tags: None

Please tell me you are insured.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Can you describe the circumstances in which it was burnt e.g accidentally or deliberately on a bonfire/domestic heating system?
      How did the labourer have access to the floor?
      Was it laid in a house (yours or another's) or in storage?

Comment

In another thread you posted, you said your ex claimed on the fire insurance. Are you talking about the same fire or another one and is it on the same policy that she has been paying for?

Comment

The owner of the building may bring a claim against this contractor in negligence, and hope that he is insured.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
            In another thread you posted, you said your ex claimed on the fire insurance. Are you talking about the same fire or another one and is it on the same policy that she has been paying for?
            Amazingly this is a different fire but the same contractor was the person who spotted the first one.

This is why I have had to start asking for help.

I m suspecting something is very wrong .

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              The owner of the building may bring a claim against this contractor in negligence, and hope that he is insured.
              Thankyou

Yes I thought as much . I'm trying to get some free legal help in order to claim that flooring money and push ahead with other legal matters.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                Can you describe the circumstances in which it was burnt e.g accidentally or deliberately on a bonfire/domestic heating system?
                How did the labourer have access to the floor?
                Was it laid in a house (yours or another's) or in storage?
                The flooring was stored professionally under a tarpaulin on my land as part of my pension assets.
                I had buildings to put it in but thats not how I wanted to store it.

The labourer says he was was clearing the area around the flooring that had been there a number of years.

Decided it was rotten and burnt it. The value of that floor was well known to my ex.

Strangely there were no unburnt ends .. but no need to go down that rabbit hole if he's admitted burning it..I hope

Comment

OK, so your floor was not burned as a result of negligence.

Was the man instructed to do this? Are your troubles the result of a feud with your ex?

Comment

If the flooring was on "your" land (or was this land jointly owned with your ex?) under whose instructions was the labourer working?

Is this the same fire that devoured your tools?

Comment

Flooring was on jointly owned land with my ex.

In the solicitors letter it says 'he reported it was rotten' but it doesn't say to who, which is strange for a solicitors letter.

I'll write to the solicitors and ask for confirmation .

It seems very much to me that all this is deliberate.

Would it be acceptable to get the police involved?

The first fire has some provable lies, which I only found out afterwards.

The fire investigator was not convinced and actually said ' he couldn't prove arson so called it electrical, but is open to new evidence '

But the insurance assessor wasn't shown that report only the fire report which said , electrical.

Comment

Who does this solicitor represent, to whom did he or she write, and why was the solicitor instructed to write?

Comment

The solicitor represents my ex partner .
                          for some reason she wrote on behalf of the contractor.
                          I found it a bit weird.
                          I'm wondering wether I should just go to the police

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X