• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Application to set aside judgment gained by fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application to set aside judgment gained by fraud

I have made an application to set aside a judgment on the grounds it was gained by fraud. It has been listed for a hearing in November. Does the respondent have to acknowledge service and file a defence within a certain time after service?
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    Tags: None

In short, no.

When a person issues an application to the court (which can be the claimant or defendant), they are called the applicant and the other is the respondent. The respondent does not have to file something but more than likely will and if they do, they would do so in the form of a witness statement opposing the application that is being made.

Sometimes the respondent might file an initial document with the court that is called something like 'grounds for opposing application for ...' which will briefly set out the reasons why the application is being opposed. That is then followed up by a witness statement with evidence included explaining why the application should not be granted.

Just to be clear, the respondent is not obliged to file anything and the court will take that into account when making its decision, but if the respondent does want to file something, then it should do so as soon as is he/she possibly can unless the court orders something different. If a date for the hearing of the application is set, there would normally be something included that says all parties to file with the court their evidence and serve a copy on the other by X date before the date of the hearing - usually 14 days before the hearing but can be earlier.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much Rob.

Comment

Hi Donkeyman

Did you fill in the form yourself or did you have legal help/internet help please.

Comment

Be aware that as soon as you use the word fraud, you raise the stakes considerably. The court will hold you to a higher stanard of proof, and will give greater freedom on costs of defending such an allegation.

Comment

Originally posted by pam56 View Post
            Hi Donkeyman

Did you fill in the form yourself or did you have legal help/internet help please.
            Sorry for the delay in replying. I filled out the form myself with a little help from my friend.

Comment

I used form N244 to make the application to set aside the judgment. The claim number is different to the claim number on the judgment I am seeking to have set aside. I know this may sound a like a daft question but does this mean my application is a 'fresh action'.

Comment

The less daft question is why is the claim number different? How is the Court to know the claim in which you seek to set judgement aside?
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                  The less daft question is why is the claim number different? How is the Court to know the claim in which you seek to set judgement aside?
                  Sorry, poor question. The claim number on the N244 was the claim who's judgment that I am seeking to have set aside. The court then assigned a different claim number on the Notice of Application application..

Comment

Ask the court office why they did this. It appears to be a mistake, unless they can come up with a cogent explanation.
                    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus. I will do.
                      I'm just trying to establish if my application to set aside the judgment of some years back is a 'fresh action'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X