• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refund of trial fees for trial that was cancelled by the court.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refund of trial fees for trial that was cancelled by the court.

I am in dispute with a builder over 2 specific items and initiated 2 small claims in succession, that seemed to be allowed by the on line process.

A hearing was scheduled for August 2021 and I paid the £355 trial fee.

But it was a “second place” hearing, and the first place hearing went ahead instead, ( I was given less than 24 hrs notice) so my own was postponed until further notice.

For some reason a decision was then made by the judge that the case should be re-evaluated.

The next I knew was on the 21st October I was told that an allocation hearing would be held for 30 mins by phone on December 13th, at this hearing, I was told that the case would be elevated to fast track.

Yesterday I received the directions and a demand for another trial fee of £545, the current fast track fee, so I phoned the court to ask for the earlier fee to be refunded.

They told me that there was no mechanism for that and my case was an unusual one, and that I would have to write to the court enquiries department and they would ask the judge to refund. I protested that asking the judge to intervene to refund money months before he hears my case would prejudice it and this was purely an admin matter but they refused to take this on board.

I think this is ridiculous, surely there would be an admin department in a court? If there is the enquiries department were keeping it secret. Could anyone advise please?
    Tags: None

How did you pay the fee? If it was Credit Card payment, you could try to make a Section 75 claim, Contact your Credit Card company.

Comment

Finally the Court wrote back to me confirming they will refund.

Comment

Originally posted by benawhile View Post
        Finally the Court wrote back to me confirming they will refund.
        That good news, I'd love to see a Section 75 Claim against the court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X