• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lay Representative (Rights of Audience) Order 1999

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lay Representative (Rights of Audience) Order 1999

I recently wanted to speak on behalf of my son in courrt regarding a penalty from a private car park management company. The case was dismissed but the district judge hearing the case refused to let me speak and only gave me the rights of a Mackenzie friend in spite of me showing her a copy of the Lay Rep order, this was contrary to all the advice I had been given and put us well and truly on the back foot. Is this order subject to what rules the district judge decides to accept in his/her court or is this in a tablet of stone in which case the DJ was acting unlawfully in this example?
    Tags: None

The Judge can refuse to hear you if he or she has a reason to do so
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Just to add to PT's comment, Section 11 of the Courts and Legal Services Act 1990 gives an explanation of this.

Representation in certain county court and family court cases.

(4) Where the county court is of the opinion that a person who would otherwise have a right of audience by virtue of an order under this section is behaving in an unruly manner in any proceedings, it may refuse to hear him in those proceedings.

(5) Where the county court exercises its power under subsection (4), it shall specify the conduct which warranted its refusal.
      The right to use a lay representative appears to be an absolute one unless 11(4) applies in which case the judge should have given reasons. If there was no unruly behaviour and the judge simply said no without explanation, then the judge would seem to have been acting beyond his or her powers. I'm not aware of any direct case law on this point and maybe pt2537 could shed some light on this, though I can only think of circumstances where there has been an element of pressure against your will or you didn't have the capacity to consent to their representation in the first place, might it be reasonable for a judge to go beyond 11(4).

In the end you won your case so I wouldn't worry too much.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

R0b

(Sorry about the 'Denton delay')

(2) a lay representative means any other person.

(1) A party may present his own case at a hearing or a lawyer or lay representative may present it for him.

(2) The Lay Representatives (Right of Audience) Order 1999 provides that a lay representative may not exercise any right of audience:–

(a) where his client does not attend the hearing;

(b) at any stage after judgment; or

(c) on any appeal brought against any decision made by the district judge in the proceedings.

(3) However the court, exercising its general discretion to hear anybody, may hear a lay representative even in circumstances excluded by the Order.

(4) Any of its officers or employees may represent a corporate party.
        https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...rt27/pd_part27
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X