• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to put together disclosure documents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put together disclosure documents

We are currently in a legal battle that is being heard at the High Court, as the legal costs have mounted, we are in a position where we have to dis-instruct our solicitor and continue the case alone. Our defence is being put together by council however we are now in a position where we have no legal backing or knowledge. We are in the stage of disclosure and have 30 days to file this with the court.

We have read articles online with regards to what disclosure consists of, however without the legal understanding we are not certain where to start. Can anyone point us in the right direction, for example is there a template or pack that we can download and expand on, or is it just a case of placing all required evidence in a folder, giving each a reference and putting this all on a spreadsheet?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

What has the Court ordered in respect of disclosure?
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hello, thank you for your response, the exact wording is 'the parties must give to each other standard disclosure of documents by list and category'.

Comment

You must serve a List of Documents on the Defendant before the time provided by the Court Order.

(https://assets.publishing.service.go...3/n265-eng.pdf)

You must complete the form in so far as applicable.

Where it says: "I did not search documents - pre-dating" - you bask back-date it as far as the evidence goes back.

Where it asks "located elsewhere than" and "in categories other than" you put in "those required under CPR P31"

I suggest you read CPR P31 (it's basically you must include all relevant documents in relation to the case - even if it is evidence which works against you"

Sign and date the statement of truth.

On page 3,

> where is says "I have control of the documents numbered and listed here. I do not object to you inspecting them/producing copies."
        Number and list all the documents winch will form your evidence bundle (inducing evidence which could be used against you)

> where it says "I have control of the documents numbered and listed here, but I object to you inspecting them:"
        just say "general notes, and memorandum connected with the case, correspondence between me and my legal representative(s)."

> where it says "I object to you inspecting these documents because:"
        just say "they are privileged by nature"

> then in the last box, list any documents which you used to have but have been lost or destroyed.

Comment

Further to the above, you should also be provided with the other side's list of documents.

You do not need to disclose the actual documents at this stage.

There will be a date in the Order which states when the documents from the list should be requested by, and the time that the request for documents should be complied with.

So when you send your disclosure list, the other side may say "please can i have items 1, 2, 3 and 4 from your list of documents".
          Check when you must comply with this.

This will also apply to you, so make sure you request any documents the Defendant relies on too.

You may be barred from using evidence if you don't disclose it in time after it has been requested.

Comment

Disclosing documents isn't a problem as they are all emails and the dealer obviously has them as they were the recipient. There are documents they claim to have which should have been presented before the sale took place, but have never been provided, despite being requested, multiple times.

Would I be expected to provide printouts of emails they already have?

Comment

Hi
              I apologise to put my leg in for another person’s post. I’m in same boat and already sent the list as advised.I am now struggling to find the following information:
              1. Do I need to include any letter with specific wording to send the documents to the claimant?
              2. Do I need to send the same to court as well?
              3. Can I send them as a bundle or segregate them according to list like Exhibit 1, 2, 3 and so on as I have provided 15 different items in standard disclosure?
              4. Do I really need to send them by email or I can send them by post?

many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X