• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sue council for negligence

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sue council for negligence

    Hi everyone, the council granted planning consent to triple the size of the factory style poultry farm 140 metres from my house. The original plant was noisy, 24 hours per day with extraction fans running. I complained and the council came and made sound recordings, which proved that the noise levels were above the legal limit, and classed as a nuisance.
    I reminded the council planners of this issue while they were considering the application to enlarge the plant, but they assured me in writing, that there would be no problem wit noise from the extended plant, despite it being three times the size.
    Now that the plant has been enlarged and is up and running, the noise levels are even louder than before, well beyond the legal threshold.
    I will be attempting to have the plant silenced via the council's environmental officers, aa vexed process which is likely to take several year, and may never be completely successful.
    It has been suggested that since it is well documented that the council had full knowledge of the pre-existing noise problems, that they acted negligently when granting consent, and as such it would be possible to sue them for the loss in the capital value of my house, and compensation for the resulting inability to enjoy my home and gardens.
    Has anyone here got an opinion as to whether this might be achievable ? I would be very grateful for your comments.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    My view is that this might be something that is probably going to be quite costly, so you may want to engage a solicitor for specialist advice and see whether someone might take your case on a no-win no-fee basis. Alternatively if you have any legal expenses insurance that would be your first port of call.

    evaluating prospects and what you potentially could get in compensation could depend on a number of factors that may fall outside the realms of what we can assist you withi on this forum.
    Check out some useful guides below

    A guide to voluntary termination
    Seting aside a CCJ
    Completing an N180 Form

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Some of the content I post may include example wording, letters, or other similar responses but they are intended purely for informational and educational purposes. Using some or all of the content I post may fail to meet your needs that is specific to your situation. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice and you can do this through the Law Society's Find a Solicitor database, by contacting your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or legal advice centres such as LawWorks. You may also be able to seek legal advice from your local university who may run a free (but limited) legal advice clinic to members of the public.


    • #3
      Thanks Rob, Im sure you are quite right about engaging a solicitor, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with similar cases that might be of help.


      • #4
        Have you considered approaching the LGO (https://www.lgo.org.uk/)


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


        No announcement yet.

        Court Claim ?

        Guides and Letters

        Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

        Find a Law Firm