• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Precedents - PoC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precedents - PoC

Dear all,

Does anyone know of any good precedent sites? I know Atkin's Court Forms is a good resource but I think one needs to work in the legal profession to gain access.

In the alternative, could someone kindly tell me if the below formatting is okay for a discrimination claim?

My legal aid solicitor should really be helping me with this by they are not pulling their weight unfortunately.

Sincere thanks.

IN THE COUNTY COURT
    Claim No: XXXXXXX

BETWEEN:-
    MR X
    Claimant
    -and-

X
    Defendant

AMENDED PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant was disabled within the meaning of Section 6(1) and Schedule 1 of the Equality Act 2010.

2. ...

PARTICULARS OF BREACH OF STATUTORY DUTY
    Direct discrimination

3. The Defendant discriminated directly against the Claimant by....

Indirect discrimination

4. The Defendant discriminated indirectly against the Claimant by....

PARTICULARS OF DAMAGES

5. By reason of the matters aforesaid, the Claimant suffered injury to his feelings and claims damages in accordance with the guidelines established in the cases of Vento v. Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police [2003] IRLR 102 and Da’Bell v. National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children [2009] UKEAT 0227.

The Claimant claims:

a) A declaration that the Defendant has discriminated against him;

b) Damages exceeding £5,000;

c) An Order requiring the Defendant to take such steps as the Court determines it should have taken in order to comply with its duty to make reasonable adjustments;

d) Interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984.

Re-DATED this day of April 2016

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Particulars of Claim are true.

Full name: ……………………………………………………
    Tags: None

Re: Precedents - PoC

What is indirect discrimination? The claim just states words not what the action swere

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      What is indirect discrimination? The claim just states words not what the action swere
      Hi wales01man,

It is just the formatting I am concerned with hence the scarce info.

Attached is guidance on the different types of discrimination if you are interested.
      Attached Files

Comment

Formatting looks fine to me, although you shouldn't be pleading case law in your particulars of claim, it should be a statement of facts only. Legal arguments and case law go into your skeleton argument and/or oral submissions.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Formatting looks fine to me, although you shouldn't be pleading case law in your particulars of claim, it should be a statement of facts only. Legal arguments and case law go into your skeleton argument and/or oral submissions.
          Many thanks Rob.

Comment

Blimey, [MENTION=51689]heisenberg[/MENTION]!

Middle band 'Vento'?

Do you think that will fly?

( [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] for reference)
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Blimey, @heisenberg!

Middle band 'Vento'?

Do you think that will fly?

( @R0b for reference)
              It's just a template.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to confirm, a breach of a statutory duty is a breach of the law in general terms?

Comment

Usually a breach of statutory duty will be either a criminal or a tort depending on the legislation. The legislation will contain the offences for a breach but if not, then it will likely fall as negligence on most occasions.

P.s. your POC should be formatted correctly too - at least 1.5 lines space (I usually do double lines) and 3.5cm margins on either side as judges do like to make notes. And at least size 12 font but most prefer 14.

Edit: Also, just above your at "at all material times" you will need a line above that which says something like "These Particulars of Claim are in substitution for the Particulars of Claim dated XX XX 2016"
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
                  It's just a template.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to confirm, a breach of a statutory duty is a breach of the law in general terms?
                  Possibly.

Exactly which duty & exactly what breach?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I am still unsure what the claim is for after all a claim must state a breach of law in detail in a criminal case the charge has to be detailed .

Comment

Possibly.

Exactly which duty & exactly what breach?
                      Various breaches of the Equality Act 2010 namely:
                      • Direct discrimination (I will probably discontinue this one in due course);
                      • Indirect discrimination;
                      • Discrimination arising from disability;
                      • Failure to make reasonable adjustments;
                      • Victimisation;
                      • Aiding contraventions (may even discontinue this one too).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      I am still unsure what the claim is for after all a claim must state a breach of law in detail in a criminal case the charge has to be detailed .
                      I am just trying to get the overall structure right first. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
                      Last edited by heisenberg; 25th April 2016, 07:47:AM.

Comment

Various breaches of the Equality Act 2010 namely:
                        • Direct discrimination (I will probably discontinue this one in due course);
                        • Indirect discrimination;
                        • Discrimination arising from disability;
                        • Failure to make reasonable adjustments;
                        • Victimisation;
                        • Aiding contraventions (may even discontinue this one too).

- - - Updated - - -

I am just trying to get the overall structure right first. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
                        The case will turn on the facts.

Also, you will need to anticipate the other party's response to your exact complaints, & overcome them using balance of probability
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The case will turn on the facts.

Also, you will need to anticipate the other party's response to your exact complaints, & overcome them using balance of probability
                          I anticipate denial at every level.

Proving these cases are, more often than not, an uphill battle. That is why the burden of proof is meant to reverse at some point (section 136) but the guidance/case law on that is unclear and these issues always rest on the discretion of the Judge.

Comment

I anticipate denial at every level.

Proving these cases are, more often than not, an uphill battle. That is why the burden of proof is meant to reverse at some point (section 136) but the guidance/case law on that is unclear and these issues always rest on the discretion of the Judge.
                            Made worse, of course, by the fact that, in more complex cases, the judge will probably be more inclined to listen to arguments put forward by a legal rep, esp if a barrister, who will speak the same 'legal' language.

But that's life - you're not always on a square & level playing-field!
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Made worse, of course, by the fact that, in more complex cases, the judge will probably be more inclined to listen to arguments put forward by a legal rep, esp if a barrister, who will speak the same 'legal' language.

But that's life - you're not always on a square & level playing-field!
                              That's for bloody sure! :sad:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X