• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Harassment, getting a court order and what kind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassment, getting a court order and what kind?

Hallo - Please would someone be so kind as to advise re the following.

My daughter part owns a 1st floor housing association shared ownership maisonette that she does not live in. The ground floor maisonette was sold at the end of 2014 at a knock-down price to buy-to-let landlords who sub let to tenants in February 2015. For several months between February 2015 and the end of June 2015, the tenant and her boyfriend made my daughter's life hell - starting with assault on my daughter and public order on me, and continuing for several months until the male was charged and later found guilty of a section 4a public order offence against my daughter. At trial he was given a substantial fine and a restraining order issued preventing his contact - either direct or indirect - with my daughter for twelve months. It was said in court that the purpose of the restraining order was to restore some peace in my daughter's life and give her time to sell her property. The female tenant was evicted and even on the last day, 29 February, was still harassing my daughter, who happened to call around to collect any post and had not known about the eviction.

New tenants moved in at the beginning of March and straight away their friend threatened to remove the parking pole from her parking space to turn two car parking spaces into space for three cars. The tenants have created a potential hazard by keeping their refuse bins next to the highway adjacent to daughter's parking space instead of the bin area in the enclosed garden. Two weeks ago daughter put her maisonette up for sale and has an offer to buy subject to contract. Today we went around and found an offensive remark painted across the top of her two rubbish bins (the same paint splashed on the ground of the other tenants parking space). Now I'm perfectly aware that this sounds ridiculous, a fuss about nothing, but this is causing substantial distress to daughter (me too) who could lose the sale of her property because she has to declare this anti-social behaviour and harassment.

I ask myself who stands to benefit from the continuous harassment from different people who seem to have nothing more in common than that they are tenants (past and present) of the buy-to-let owners, who bought the ground floor maisonette at a knock-down price (I have no idea why that property was sold at £30,000 less than the offer on my daughter's and £7,000 less than it was bought for seven years previously). I can only conclude that if my daughter's property sale falls through because of this anti-social and hostile behaviour, the only way it could be sold would be at a knock-down price - potentially to the buy-to-let owners of the ground floor property.

So what I am asking is would it be advisable for my daughter to go to court in an attempt to herself stop this harassment/anti-social behaviour towards her, if so what kind of court order and who should it be against - the buy-to-let landlords for failing to control the conduct of their tenants (both past and present), the present tenants who seem to be instigating and continuing a pattern of behaviour that started with the previous tenant's boyfriend in February 2015, or the Housing Association freeholder who now say they are not responsible for the conduct of the buy-to-let landlords' tenants?

Thank you for any advice. Despite all our efforts to keep control of a situation not of our making, this seems to be running away with us.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X