• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking on right of way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking on right of way

I have a right of way over neighbours property.

Neighbour has given his next door neighbour permission to park on the right of way

I at the moment am unable to drive but visitors and gardener are unable to use the right of way now

I asked my legal insurers to write to both to stop the parking on the right of way

My insurers say they are unable to take action as I nor or my visitors etc use the right of way often enough so neighbours parking on the right of way is not substantial.

Can anybody please advise
    Tags: None

Re: Parking on right of way

What is the exact wording of the easement in your title deeds?

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
      What is the exact wording of the easement in your title deeds?
      Thanks for response

To keep open and free from obstruction the joint access way shown coloured yellow on the said plan and to allow free access over the same

Comment

That seems plain enough. Have you spoken to the neighbour about it and the fact that by allowing the other neighbour to park his car there your access is being obstructed?

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
          That seems plain enough. Have you spoken to the neighbour about it and the fact that by allowing the other neighbour to park his car there your access is being obstructed?
          I wrote to the neighbour who is parking on the right of way-his response was to, when it suited him, park on my drive

The other neighbour, despite his covenants stating that it is his responsibility to keep the drive clear, says it not his problem.

Comment

Get stroppy with your Legal Expenses Insurers.
            The policy probably has a "Reasonable Prospect of Success" clause, but all your looking for at the moment is a warning letter from a solicitor. Of course you probably have an excess that will exceed the cost of a solicitor's letter!

You might find this link of assistance, the second page contains a draught letter from solicitors dealing with circumstances similar to those you are encountering:
            http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...c.php?f=8&t=82

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Get stroppy with your Legal Expenses Insurers.
              The policy probably has a "Reasonable Prospect of Success" clause, but all your looking for at the moment is a warning letter from a solicitor. Of course you probably have an excess that will exceed the cost of a solicitor's letter!

You might find this link of assistance, the second page contains a draught letter from solicitors dealing with circumstances similar to those you are encountering:
              http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...c.php?f=8&t=82
              Thanks for your response will send another letter to my insurers on Monday.

Comment

Who are the Legal Insurance suppliers?
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                  Who are the Legal Insurance suppliers?
                  Insurers are Saga but letters are coming from Acromas Insurance Co.

Comment

So your policy covers:

3. Protection of Property
                    Legal costs for pursuing legal proceedings and/or arrangement of
                    mediation for a dispute relating to your property which you own or is your
                    responsibility:
                    n following an event which causes or could cause physical damage to
                    your property; or
                    n following a public or private nuisance or trespass.

Under the Exclusions I can see no clause which covers their declared reason for not acting on your behalf.

The nearest I can get to that is where they exclude claims where the amount in dispute is under £250. But your claim is not about money, but for assistance in having a private nuisance/ trespass ceased.

Probably real reason is that they feel this is a minor issue and not worth their while instructing their solicitors. I believe they use the Parabis Group.

Slightly off topic (sorry) it's quite interesting to see the tie up between Saga, AA and owners Acromas. (At least I find it interesting :tinysmile_grin_t

Comment

So your policy covers:

3. Protection of Property
                      Legal costs for pursuing legal proceedings and/or arrangement of
                      mediation for a dispute relating to your property which you own or is your
                      responsibility:
                      n following an event which causes or could cause physical damage to
                      your property; or
                      n following a public or private nuisance or trespass.

Under the Exclusions I can see no clause which covers their declared reason for not acting on your behalf.

The nearest I can get to that is where they exclude claims where the amount in dispute is under £250. But your claim is not about money, but for assistance in having a private nuisance/ trespass ceased.

Probably real reason is that they feel this is a minor issue and not worth their while instructing their solicitors. I believe they use the Parabis Group.

Slightly off topic (sorry) it's quite interesting to see the tie up between Saga, AA and owners Acromas. (At least I find it interesting :tinysmile_grin_t
                      How do I reply without using the quote button?

Thanks for your response

Insurers say that because I don't use the right of way on a regular basis the court would regard this as not being a substantial interference by the persons parking on the right of way.

Comment

Yes Des, that was my interest too

Originally posted by lawrie View Post
                        How do I reply without using the quote button?

Thanks for your response

Insurers say that because I don't use the right of way on a regular basis the court would regard this as not being a substantial interference by the persons parking on the right of way.
                        Lawrie, to reply without quoting the previous post use the + Reply to Thread button (top left of screen just above last post)

It is irrelevant how frequently you use the right of way, what if you suddenly needed to rush to hospital or such similar mercy dash to a friend relative in need Get back on to your insurer and give them hell
                        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Have also just found this, interesting advice from a solicitor

But what happens when relationships turn sour, and neighbours are suddenly not so keen on sharing their pathways?

Steve Beahan, partner and residential property disputes expert at law firm Irwin Mitchell is on hand to get you on track with rights of way and the issues that can arise.

I have been using a path which passes over the rear of my neighbour’s property to access my home for the past 23 years. My old neighbour never used to say anything, but the new occupant complains that I have no right to use it. Is a person entitled to a right of way after using such paths for a length of time?............
                          Rest of story and advice here > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...ht-of-way.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                            Have also just found this, interesting advice from a solicitor

Rest of story and advice here > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...ht-of-way.html
                            I note the second case quoted in Telegraph report refers to "substantial interference"

Even so your insurers should, IMO, at least refer it to their solicitors with a view to writing a warning letter to your neighbours.
                            So as previously advised by both of us, give 'em hell!
                            Last edited by des8; 24th March 2014, 09:04:AM. Reason: removal of an errant apotrophe!

Comment

Thanks for responses have written to insurers will let you know the outcome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X