• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car title legalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car title legalities

Can anyone advise if it is illegal to have a car registered in someone's name but at a completely different address? I am asking as my partners step-daughter borrowed a car from him on long term loan. She has now changed the log book to her name (and if what her mum has said is true she was going to do it by forging his signature though possibly he has allowed this) but it is still registered to his home where she has never lived. I think this will be because it is in the country whilst she lives in a large city. Is he liable if anything happens whilst insured at his address or is the liability all placed with her? Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Car title legalities

You will find that the insurance will be void if it is found that the regular user is not at the address given to the insurance company.

Comment

Hi Ostell! Thanks that is what I thought may be the case. I hope she doesn't come a cropper with this but at 23 I am sure she knows she is doing wrong!

Comment

The insurer's proposal form will ask for the proposer's address, and it is on this that the premium will be calculated.
        The form will also ask if the vehicle is kept at the proposer's address, and if not, what is the address?

If the addresses are miles apart, they will then make further enquiries as to why and then decide whether or not to offer cover and at what price.

As Ostell warns, be untruthful and get caught and she is likely to have the policy voided.
        It leaves her open to a criminal charge of fraud, as well as driving without insurance.

It is not difficult to get caught..... be involved in an accident (not necessarily her fault) and have to show her licence to the insurers and any non declared discrepancy will be picked up.

Also she should bear in mind that DVLA records also now carry insurance details

Also the guidance notes to completing a vehicle registration form state:
        "Please use Section 6 of the Certificate to inform us of any changes to your
        name, address, or both. You must also use this Section to tell us if you sell
        or personally break up your vehicle. You are required by law to give us this
        information"
        Don't know what the penalties (if any) are for giving false info.

I suspect she regards herself as an honest person, but she might find out the expensive way that others regard her actions otherwise.

Comment

Thank you - I have mentioned this to my partner but he isn't interested. When the carw as on loan it was registered to him and she insured it at his address, now it is both registered and insured at his address but in her name. She lives 30 miles away. I feel I have done my best by advising him of the risk and as it is his step-daughter I hope he has the maturity to advise her the same. However as it is a sports car and she is so young I think the savings in insurance may be the most important thing here. Thanks both.

Comment

Per Des8 (who knows his onions):

As Ostell warns, be untruthful and get caught and she is likely to have the policy voided.
            It leaves her open to a criminal charge of fraud, as well as driving without insurance.
            :scared::scared::scared: Hardly a saving!

Comment

Totally agree but I doubt she will listen to me!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X