• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Estate finalised but executor will not pay beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Estate finalised but executor will not pay beneficiaries

I think the OP needs to find out a lot more from the uncle or solicitor something does not seem quite right here.
    Does he have a copy of the probate accounts this should show everything from the outset all monies in and out and copies of paperwork sent to the tax office

Comment

Re: Estate finalised but executir will not pay beneficiaries

Originally posted by Nic1805 View Post
      A further update to this:
      after a few more emails and calls to my uncle yesterday, he had agreed that he would transfer my share of the estate after he confirmed with his solicitor on Monday morning.
      He has also agreed to get his solicitor to send me a letter/email if he advises my uncle differently. Good

Since this last conversation, my uncle has received another email from the disgruntled beneficiary with further queries.

He has requested the following:

He wants to see 3 quotes for the work my uncle had done on the house left in the estate and the invoice showing how much my uncle paid for individual works.
      my uncle has shown on the accounts that he had some painting work done and the house, garden and garage cleared before putting the house on the market.

He also wants to request a deed of variation, as he believes the estate should be distributed differently. Why and on what grounds?
      my uncle is distributing the estate as to the rules of intestate.
      i have said I will not sign any form of variation.

he also want more of a breakdown on the work my uncle had done on the headstone
      uncle paid for the deceased wife's writing to be finished and obviously my uncle details put on the headstone.

does anyone know if my uncle has to provide such in depth detail as this?
      i feel the other beneficiary is just trying to make things as hard as possible as he believes he should of been the executor even though there was no will! Why?

I will be seeking the advice of a solicitor tomorrow about this is just so frustrating Good plot but do be sure that you get value for money not just another snout in the trough lol

thanks
      Hi Nic

Firstly I am so sorry for your losses - too many bereavements in too short a time.

To be fair to your executor Uncle, when you swear the oath for probate as executor they really do put the fear of God into you as to your duty and responsibility to do everything by the book. It does look very much as if this is what he (executor uncle) is trying to do, and everything described above would appear to bear this out.

If his brother is making more and more demands for detail (such as mentioned above), then it is likely that the executor Uncle's solicitor is advising him to get it all sorted before distribution so that he will not incur personal costs after the event in fighting any dispute; not unreasonable advice IMVHO. I don't personally see anything untoward or sinister here - the job of executor, especially in a warring family, is rather a poisoned chalice unless you are a professional and therefore able to charge fees for your time and effort.

How is it that this uncle was appointed sole executor in view of the other's objection?

To me, FWIW, the executor uncle seems to be doing everything he should and the other brother being a PIA - but then bereavement does sometimes bring out the worst in people.

Do try to keep things amicable and conciliatory all round, otherwise any inheritance could quickly evaporate into the pockets of lawyers.

Good luck!

Comment

Nic..................

Does your Uncle have all the money in HIS bank account or is it with solicitor?

You MUST seek proper legal advice on this...doesn't have to cost you a fortune but will put your mind at rest,It's quite possible that the objecting beneficiary is just being awkward because he can.

Comment

Hi

thanks again to everyone who has replied.

final update to this is that my uncle released the money, he spoke with the beneficiary ( my brother) again and after some emails from us all the beneficiary decided he wouldn't take anything further and would except what my uncle had listed in the accounts.
          So all sorted....now just my dad's estate!!!

thanks

Comment

Good news.....hope the new lot isn't so much aggro

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X