• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Public bodies - duties?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public bodies - duties?

Hi - are public bodies (arbitration scheme) under a legal (statutory) or Common Law duty (e.g. minimum standards of procedural fairness) to recognize medical certificates (i.e. sick note - not issued in the context of employment) regarding the extension of a deadline to make submissions?

I would appreciate a quick response.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Public bodies - duties?

I don't know about a statutory duty, but a polite explanation will often procure you an extension.

Comment

All law is based on common law
      Statutory legislation is just an extension of common law

I really do need a bit more information for the purpose of code of practice, industrial relations,

Public bodies

That is either the NHS, Royal Mail, emergency services etc

Comment

Thanks - any relevant acts to quote.. ?

It is neither of the ones you mentioned, it is one of the ADR - Alternative Dispute Resolution bodies.

The point is they had previously implied that they are willing to grant further extension based on medical evidence - I provided them with a (genuinely true) medical certificate issued by a GP and they continue digging for symptoms and how these are affecting me etc. - considering this public body is NOT a health authority and not my employer I do not feel they have legitimate grounds to usher me divulging more than what was stated on the medical certificate.

Comment

Are we talking of ATOS in relation to this dispute

Outside commercial agency with government contracts

Comment

Outside commercial agency with government contracts
            More or less - A company operating under a statutory act
            Last edited by JCE; 9th May 2013, 18:15:PM.

Comment

I will give a brief interpretation

As this is connected to the Tribunals Service, any organization lower than the tribunal will accept the tribunals decision as law.

Most tribunal have a 1st and 2nd tier structure in which you appeal to.

If the decisions are then upheld, the next appeal level will be to seek a judicial review on a point of law

Have you any legal representation or trade union on this

Comment

Originally posted by FORCEOFONE View Post
                Have you any legal representation or trade union on this
                Have you seen my PM regarding this? Thanks

Comment

Doing research

check back tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
                    More or less - A company operating under a statutory act
                    Could anyone please update me on this - including quoting the relevant (public) law and respond as soon as possible, as I need it fairly urgently

Thanks

Comment

Further - which public / administrative law requires public bodies to act fairly and are they bound by their previous promises (if made in writing) - if so again, where is this established in law?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X