• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

28 day extension of a claim through 31.14 request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 day extension of a claim through 31.14 request

just putting this on the forum for my own clarification

if after you receive a claim through the county court, and then put in a request for the documents under cpr 31.14

what then when the solicitor agrees to a 28 day extension, (cpr 31.15)

but he does not confirm is when the 28 day extension starts from

is it

from the acknowledge of service (14 days from the issue of claim plus 5 days)
    from 14 days from acknowledge of service
    28 days from acknowledge of service

by not confirming the start of the 28 days, the defendant runs the risk of judgement by default as he is left in limbo

as i am talking of uncle brian on this

comments please people
    Tags: None

Re: 28 day extension of a claim through 31.14 request

28 days from the date it would be without the extension.

M1

Comment

many thanks so it claim date plus 5 days plus 14 to acknowledge, then 14 for the defence

so its 28 days from after the normal dead line for the defence as of any normal claim

so its in effect its 14 days from claim date, plus 5 for service, then 14 for the defence, then 28 days for the extension

so to confirm

you acknowledge the claim, inform court both parties agree a 28 day extension within 14 days or end up with a judgement by default,, then its another 28 days

14 days plus another 28 days to submit a defence

please confirm i am reading this right

my head hurts

Comment

If your defence is due July 1st and you agree 28 day extension then it's due 28 days later - 29th July.

M1

Comment

many thanks for the confirmation

Comment

Where did the 5 days come from? The date of service is either a date you receive when it arrives ( if by registered post the date you sign). The court allows for delivery by the first class post after the claim has been sealed, maybe an extra day UNLESS you can prove otherwise. Also it may be worth checking with court the date the other party registered as a date of service - if they are shuisters they can register alternative date! (which happened in my case).

Comment

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...les/pd_part07e

The claim form will be deemed to be served on the fifth day after the claim was issued irrespective of whether that day is a business day or not. ‘Business day’ has the same meaning as in rule 6.2(b).

M1

Comment

as most county court claims are done through northampton, The deemed date on Notices of Issue from MCOL are invariably 5 days after filing the claim

in all other times it will be deemed served 2 day after posting if not using mcol

i do not believe the court service use registered post anymore, they just use the interpretations act

might be wrong on that one though

Comment

thanks M1

beat me to it

Comment

Ok, but all I was trying to point out that one has to be careful that certificate of service is not for an earlier date. Although courts can be flexible there is no point in getting dates wrong (remember Her Majesty May and Abu Qatada debacle)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X