• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Subject Access Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject Access Request

Hi

Could a subject access request be made to an individual?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

hanratty
    Tags: None

Re: Subject Access Request

Who is the individual?

Comment

Hi Hanratty,

Go to Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO
      which is the Information Commissioner's website.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi Hanratty. My understanding is that if the person or firm is registered with the ICO as a Data Controller, then they are bound by law to comply with properly issued DSAR. If not registered, then they are under no such obligation.

I believe FoI requests can only be made to certain listed government or public bodies, and not to any individual.

But as BB says, check it out for sure by following the links he posted.

Comment

I think you're right Bill. I know a couple of times I've been surprised by some of the exemptions from being registered, and from some of the public bodies who can avoid FOI requests.

I was very surprised, when I phoned to register for my charity, to discover I didn't have to. It doesn't mean I don't have to abide by the Act, just that I don't have to be registered as a Data Controller.

Comment

Interesting, though, Labman. Although you are not required to register as a Data Controller, you are still subject to the DPA ? This puts my posted assumptions into question - and I think this may need further investigation.

Basically - the question raised here, I think, is, "If a person or firm is NOT required to register with the ICO as a Data Controller, are they then required to comply with a DSAR ?"

Or - for that matter - are they required to comply with the DPA in general ?

Comment

Even 'individuals' are subject to the DPA

s36 allows for

36 Domestic purposes.Personal data processed by an individual only for the purposes of that individual’s personal, family or household affairs (including recreational purposes) are exempt from the data protection principles and the provisions of Parts II and III.

Schedule 7 lists other exemptions
              http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/schedule/7

s38 gives the Secretary of State further discretionary powers
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I guess my charity is seen as a small business, but there are exemptions for not for profit organisations. As I undoubtedly process data, I've always assumed any client could SAR us. I may be wrong.

At the end of the day for us, good practice dictates we want to exceed the requirements of the DPA anyway.

I need to investigate too as it will bug me now. :-)

Comment

If this is the case do you have to register with the ICO as a data controller?

Originally posted by labman View Post
                  I guess my charity is seen as a small business, but there are exemptions for not for profit organisations. As I undoubtedly process data, I've always assumed any client could SAR us. I may be wrong.

At the end of the day for us, good practice dictates we want to exceed the requirements of the DPA anyway.

I need to investigate too as it will bug me now. :-)

Comment

...currently £35 a year

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                      If this is the case do you have to register with the ICO as a data controller?
                      Amazingly not. I actually phoned them twice as I didn't believe the person I spoke to first time. I could register voluntarily, but when I said I'd like to do this, they advised me not to as it was a waste of money that would be better pumped into the charity.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X