• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

is this a breach of contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a breach of contract

i recently purchased an online service for a games console which required me to enter my visa debit card details including the cvc (card verification code) which also involved these details being stored for future transactions
    the next day i noticed several transactions from my account to this gaming network, i later found out that my young son had made further purchases using the card details stored.
    i contacted the company concerned who informed me they will investigate but it is highly unlikely i would get a refund.
    i was shocked by the fact that they were able to allow further purchases without me actually inputing my cvc for these transactions.
    their privacy policy clearly states that transactions made would require cardholders details (which they stored) and the card security code (which they are prohibitted by law to store)
    have they breached any contract or consumer protection law?
    Tags: None

Re: is this a breach of contract

Unfortunately not. What exactly did your son purchase? Are they items that are returnable within 14 days?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

he purchased online gaming packs which the seller says the distance selling regs do not apply as they are available for use immediately
      just like to clarify my son did not have access to my cvc for the purchases he made

Comment

Originally posted by nala328 View Post
        he purchased online gaming packs which the seller says the distance selling regs do not apply as they are available for use immediately
        just like to clarify my son did not have access to my cvc for the purchases he made
        I suspect that the details stored are sufficient. Were the gaming packs used?

I think the issue is this: if your son had access to the site, ie saved passwords(never do that) for a site then as far as the site is concerned it was as good as you having access to the site.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Instigate a chargeback, under the VISA Debit Chargeback Scheme. You may get details of this from your card issuer. For more information, search the forum for "Visa chargeback."

Comment

Nala,

How old is your son? They may have committed an offence falling within the definition of a 'circular to a minor' under s50 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X