• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Royal (royal sunalliance)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Royal (royal sunalliance)

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move it if you think best.

My dear dad passed away in feb this year and my mum thought she had sorted through all the insurance policies just after that, but she found another policy in the file box about a month ago for 'The Royal' (royal sunalliance since 1996)

The policy is a 20 year policy from 1983 - 2003. total amount £15,600

My mum wrote to RSA with a copy of the policy document as soon as she found it but they wrote back saying they had no record of the policy at RSA. If my mum could prove that payment were being made then they said they might look into it for her.

Barclays have said they will only be abe to do the last six months statements for her, can i do the DPA request letter for this?

Should i also send a DPA request to RSA with the policy number on it?

Grateful for any advice
    thanks
    claire

Re: The Royal (royal sunalliance)

You certainly should Claire, definately to RSA, but Barclays aren't under any obligation to send you statements out in a DPA request.

I need to check, but I think you could specifically request information relating to any transaction relating to RSA in the last 6 years. I'll check this point, bear with me.

Comment

The problem you're going to have is the age, if the policy lapsed more than 6 years ago, they probably won't have an active record of it but if you give them the policy No they should trace it right back to the start.

Probably the same problem with the bank, a DPA request will probably only return 6 years data and you'll have the usual battle to get more, especially with Barclays.

Comment

Policy ended in 2003, thats only 4 years, so surely they should still have information from then?

Or am I missing something?

Comment

If it was still being paid then, yes, but if they have already checked and said they have no record there's a good chance payments were stopped before then, lots of people do this with insurances.

Most companies went computerised in the early 90's and despite what they say, the info from then on is quite easily recoverable, with life insurance or endowments, obviously they can't get rid of the info altogether so they'll have it somewhere, it's just a case of how difficult it is to retrieve and whether they can be bothered, there are thousands of unclaimed policies out there.

It depends on the wording of the policy but it's probable that even if they didn't pay it to the end, the money will remain invested and something will be paid out on death.

Comment

If it stopped being paid then wouldn't there be an amount to be given back?

Comment

Yes probably, I've got endowments that you forfeit if you don't pay for the full term but life policies can become "paid up" if you decide to stop paying for some reason, definitely worth following up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X