• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Serial non-compliance with CPR...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial non-compliance with CPR...

BACKGROUND
    In 2009 the Claimant (“C”) issued proceedings against the Defendant (“D”). D asked for more time to file his defence. 6 weeks after serving the claim, with no AoS or defence from D, there was a CMC. An Order was made giving D a further 6 weeks to file his defence.

On the day the defence was due C received a strike-out application, no defence. D lost the strike-out. C was ordered to clarify his Points of Claim by a certain date - which he did. D was ordered to file his defence - he filed something called a defence, which was unsigned and undated, but which did not answer the Points of Claim. C served a Request for Further information. D refused to answer it. The Master ordered that he answer it by a further date. When that date came D still did not answer many of the points - and he refused to send the defence to C! Eventually he was persuaded that he had to and when it eventually arrived, about 2 weeks late, it was unsigned and undated - yet again.

Meanwhile D failed to fully comply with disclosure. He eventually produced a handful of documents (most of which we had already disclosed to him in our full lever-arch file). D has control of the files (but C had taken pertinent copies some years ago) so should have produced many more documents than he did. CPR says you must produce documents whether they help or hinder your case. I can’t say he only produced documents that helped his case because they don’t exist but he only produced documents that didn’t hinder his case.

I am telling you this so that you get an idea of why I call D a serial abuser of the CPR.

ANY IDEAS RE QUESTIONS BELOW?
    The same parties are party to a further claim issued 28.01.11. That gave D until 14.02.11 to file an AoS. Today C discovered that D filed an AoS a week ago and what he called a “defence”. D did not send either of these documents to C - this is an abuse of CPR.

The “defence” does not answer any of the points of claim. It is a one-page letter to the Court in which D makes sweeping statements about the truth of the claim. D says he can disprove all of it but has said nothing to demonstrate this. C has strong evidence to support his claim.

CPR says you must file a defence within 14 days (or 28 if you file an AoS). CPR does not say (so far as I can see) what sanctions are available when D files a non-defence as is the case here.

Should C issue a Request for Further Information? Can he do this when the “defence” doesn’t actually defend any of the points?

Should C ask the Court to strike-out the defence and go for summary judgment?

Can C show the Court D’s repeated refusal / failure to comply with CPR in the earlier case? Will this encourage the Court to be a little less lenient towards D?

I am asking because it seems that if C goes for strike-out / summary judgment the Court may just give D more time to file a “proper” defence.

If C goes for a CPR P18 Request for Further Information - giving say 4 more weeks - the Court will probably give more time on top of that.

Whatever C does it seems the Court will probably respond by giving D more time to file a defence.

Can D get away with non-compliance with CPR for ever? This is his standard modus-operandi.

Thank you for reading this. Any ideas?
    Tags: None

Re: Serial non-compliance with CPR...

Wow soo many D's and C's can i grab a vowel please?

CPR is about as much use as a chocolate teaspoon.

The courts have a raft of powers to use under CPR but it seems very rarely do so - especially when involving LiP's - but certainly not limited to this.

Does D have any official capacity? eg solicitor, director etc something that you can "use" against them.

Otherwise you will have to use the various direct powers eg draft directions, unless orders etc etc

Comment

Sorry about the Ds and Cs, I didn't want to keep on repeating "The Claimant" / "The Defendant".

The Defendant was represented in the first case until after the strike-out - that is to say he had solicitors and barristers who were on the record. He has been getting legal advice since then but the lawyers have been off the record.

I like your analogy of CPR and chocolate teaspoons - that just about sums up what we think about it! It seems a totally pointless "tool".

D is enormously wealthy and heavily represented behind the scenes but plays the I'm a poor old man card with no money, this is all so stressful etc card. He never puts up any evidence in his defence.

We should be in possession of the AQ today and wonder whether the best thing to do is to fill this out, pay the fee and get it in with an application notice.
      Last edited by bottomburp; 17th February 2011, 07:44:AM. Reason: too wordy

Comment

Decisions made - I think...

1. Request for further and better particulars (CPR P18) giving one month deadline and

2. N244 (with WS and draft order) asking Court to

a. rubber stamp the CPR P18 request and deadline

b. a CPR P31 request for disclosure and

c. requesting relief under rules CPR rules 3, 15.6, 16.5 and 22 and PD 16.5

Oh, and filing AQ at same time as all the above.

How does that sound?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X