• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judicial Review - Decision of a Claim FSCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judicial Review - Decision of a Claim FSCS

I would like some advice regarding taking legal action against the FSCS in relation to a recent decision about compensation they have made.

Over the past year I have complained to the FSCS under MCOB rule 4.7 Suitable Advice in relation to mortgage advice. In November 2010 they confirmed (after much persuading) that the firm had been negligent, had breached MCOB, that the mortgage was inappropriate e.t.c.

Unfortunately they refused to compensate for the "mortgage specific" loss because there was the possibility that the client may have continued notwithstanding failings in the advice. As a result of this and because of their general incompetence they concluded that "it was difficult to assess any direct financial loss".

The FSCS did make a derisory offer of £2400 which amounted to the broker fees paid.

For the avoidance of doubt there is no evidence that the client would have continued with the sale regardless but the FSCS seem to want to peddle this argument.

I am well aware that these sort of claims are extremely rare but surely in professional negligence cases the remedy is to put the Claimant back in the position they would have been in? In this case the Claimant would not have paid for Solicitors, Early Repayment Charge, Estate Agent Fees, Search Fees e.t.c and would be on a cheaper mortgage. How and why the FSCS cannot see this as direct financial loss is beyond me. Another salient point is that the property they moved to is actually worth less (and was at the time - due to vendor gifted deposit) than the property moved from.

I would be interested to hear from anybody in a similar position or likewise the legal brains on the forum.

Please note - This case relates to my parents. I'm not a claims management company.

Kind Regards,
    Tags: None

Re: Judicial Review - Decision of a Claim FSCS

Without commenting on the merits or otherwise of FSCS's decision, do you realise how expensive mounting a Judicial Review challenge to their decision would be?

Comment

I have taken some initial advice but I'm hoping to do it under a CFA Agreement. I would like discuss the merits more of the case on here in terms of direct financial loss and the issue of causation before parting with 2K to instruct a solicitor.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mhart2011 View Post
        I have taken some initial advice but I'm hoping to do it under a CFA Agreement. I would like discuss the merits more of the case on here in terms of direct financial loss and the issue of causation before parting with 2K to instruct a solicitor.

Cheers

Why do you think you need to seek a JD?

Comment

additionally to the comment from EXC mounting a judicial review can be a very long process, and has the potential to become a very stressful and large part of your life for the year (or two) it takes to be decided.

That's not to say that you shouldn't go for it if you really feel that justice needs to be done, but if you are going to take this on do so with open eyes and a background knowledge of the system (eg. bring the case quickly, within 3 months, to ensure the time limits are not exhausted).

CT

Comment

The reason why I wanted to seek a judicial review is becasuse the FSCS have based a decision not to pay compensation for mortgage specific loss on this basis:

"we cannot be satisfied that your parents would not have proceeded with the move even if the firm had given different advice, or they had sought advice from an alternative mortgage firm."

This is largely an assumption on their part and isnt based on any evidence. However, I believe that as this claim is brought under suitable advice chapter of MCOB and therefore number of claims quite rare I believe there is a hidden agenda.
            Last edited by mhart2011; 19th January 2011, 13:45:PM.

Comment

To be honest with the costs risk of pursuing a Judicial Review challenge to FSCS you really need to be seeking more qualified advice than you'd get on an internet forum.

I don't know but I would suspect that FSCS have the power to exercise a high degree of discretion in the decisions they make and you would need counsel's opinion on it.

Just last week FSCS won a judicial review challenge and were awarded costs of £280,000.

Advisers lose Keydata FSCS judicial review | News | Money Marketing

Comment

I know the costs are huge and so I would like to settle with them before it got that far. What I could do with is good case law which shows the conditions that have to be met before it can be concluded that someone would have disregarded professional advice. Surely if it was always a defence that one could have sought unsuitable services from elsewhere, then every professional negligence claim of this type would fail. If that is the case what is the point in having this type of compensation, if this is always the response.

The FSCS when assessing claims have to assess whether there is a civil liability owed by the firm and so they are not above the law and shouldnt have carte blanche decision making power.

Comment

You could try these people Regulatory Legal | Regulatory Legal Homepage

Comment

I spoke briefly with them but of course its all about the money.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X