• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection Act

Hi All,

I hope someone may be able to help me I think that I may have fallen fowl of someone abusing the act and it is a council. I recently had my house repossessed and had to claim benefits both housing and council tax for the new place I am living at. Now the only people that know this address are my parents a few selected friends and the council benefit office.

Today I have received a council tax liability order from Rosendale’s saying I owe my local council an amount of money and that they will be sending a van around to collect my goods(Something they will have a job doing as I don’t have anything except a few personal belongings and a few cloths). Now with that said hear begs the question how did Rosendale’s get my personal details at this address and am I right in thinking that if they are acting on information they have found out from a 3rd Party they and the persons giving the information are in breach of the data protection act? Best of all I know nothing about this debt and there is nothing in the letter to say anything about it. There are no time frames as to when it was.

Cheers,

Andy
    Tags: None

Re: Data Protection Act

Read section 29 of the DPA this allows your data to be processed without consent in matters of crime AND taxation

Comment

No, you are incorrect here I'm afraid.

The passing of your details by your council to a bailiff company is not a breach of the DPA. Councils are exempt from the first data protection principle of the Act under Part IV S.29 (Crime and Taxation).

Are you behind with your council tax?

Comment

That's exactly what I said Amy.

Comment

I wasn't addressing you Caspar.

Comment

Hi Andy

So sorry about your house and hope things settle down very soon, the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
              I wasn't addressing you Caspar.
              Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                Are you behind with your council tax?
                No it matters not all being well they won't be able to do anything as it is from a previous address so would be included in my bankruptcy. Just came as a total supprise as this is the first I new of it. Just wanted to know where I stand with regards to them visiting me at the new address.

Comment

Is the liability from a previous council tax year though? You will be able to include it in your bankruptcy if it is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X