• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defamation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defamation

Question

If, in the course of a legal action, an unsubstantiated written accusation is made by one of the parties which openly accuses the other of a criminal act, & if the accusing party fails to provide adequate supporting proof that the accusation is in fact correct, is this grounds for defamation?

When would such comment be 'privileged'?

cnjw
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Re: Defamation

Wouldn't it be libel? Surely it would only be priveleged information if it was made between the accusing party and their solicitor? And if it was privileged, then how did the other party find out about it in the first place?
    Is no longer here

Comment

Any comment published, would not be exempt, unless proved true

Comment

Privilege applies to client - sol or spoken in Court. From memory repeating a libel outside of Court even by quoting representation is still libel.

It's been a few years - I could be wrong.

Comment

So if a court was to rule in favour, that the charges imposesd for non payment of a mandatory order, were in fact over inflated, any default or any entry on a register for credit history would in fact be Defamaton of the persons true charecter?

Comment

Potentially.

The basic argument in McGuffick on CRF's was 'true statement of account management' etc. Therefore EVEN if a Court rules the charges (which led to, played a part in) a default were unlawful the defence of fair comment would roughly come into play.

Charges have not yet been deemed unlawful - and defamation isn't retrospective. It's a stupid thing you can argue CRF entries are libellous now (although I'm sure I've seen a caselaw saying it isn't (Righty???)) but when we eventually win the charges battle, you can't go back in history and include libel as a reason to remove info OR claim damages.

Comment

So will you now admit it is a mistake getting the OFT involved to any case law, a joke, as they are a toothless tiger and they do not actually have any power, hence the recent court case, and their code is actually only a non legal guide.
              Which would lead to a conspiracy of the bank/financial industries/government, that the whole credit history recording process (although fundermenatally a good idea) is one imposed by the banks and finacial industries, to extract more profit from those who can and cannot afford it, in conjuicnction with the Direct debit, and bundling it together in a standard form contract/and unauthorised overdraft fees etc?

Comment

Look out - Hijackers!!

:fencing: :fish: :scared: :moony:

Lol - only kidding msl:
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If that was aimed at me, then erm no and not sure what it has to do with the thread either?

Comment

Nah, not a pop at either your good self or swos - just a misconceived humorous post to highlight how a thread can veer off into unforseen territory.

:yield:
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

lol my post was at swos, but there should be a 'lol' after the no.

Tangents are some of the best discussions I find! PMSL

Comment

:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::e mbarassed: OOPs sorry wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by ed. View Post
                          Charges have not yet been deemed unlawful - and defamation isn't retrospective. It's a stupid thing you can argue CRF entries are libellous now (although I'm sure I've seen a caselaw saying it isn't (Righty???)) but when we eventually win the charges battle, you can't go back in history and include libel as a reason to remove info OR claim damages.
                          Maybe it could be brought back into the present simply by ordering a credit report?
                          Say we win this battle latter this year and you had a default from 2006. It will still be on your credit file, so if it is still being published, wouldn't that make it present?
                          Surely it is like publishing an article saying Mr X used to be a criminal, even after he has proven to a court that he is not and never was..

BTW, if anyone in this thread does have a default from bank charges, it would be mighty useful!!

Comment

lol swos, we are all meant to have sobered up by now!

Smasher, (again working from memory I did Defamation nigh on 10 years ago) there is only a 12 month limitations window for bringing claims of libel, so that's where the cut of would come in.

That said though, on the issue of CRF's I'm sure I saw a post from Righty stating CRF's weren't classed as libellous or something though.

Comment

Soz Ed I am trying, but I keep on pressing the wrong buttons, last week I went to the forza motorsport 3 web site, or so I thought and got some asian bird with no clothes on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X