• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

part 36 offer accepted but claimants solicitors costs are huge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part 36 offer accepted but claimants solicitors costs are huge

I hope this is in the right section.

I accepted a part 36 offer from a claimants solicitor.
    That is £1700.
    However the no win no fee is claiming costs of 171 units which is
    £4651.20+VAT (£5581.44).

But has said
    With a view to concluding costs swiftly we are prepared to accept £3750+VAT (£4500)
    I wasn't expecting anything like this amount.
    This was for non protection of a rent deposit.
    He has given me an xl file that lists things like an email from me is 1 unit etc etc.

I was not expecting anything like this.

He says If this is not agreed, I will prepare a formal schedule of costs and send the same to you in the coming days, and thereafter if costs cannot be concluded, a detailed bill will be required which can be assessed by the court if not agreed.

Please note the preparation of the aforementioned schedule and/or detailed bill will incur further time and costs that can be recovered from you.

Does this seem right or can anyone give me help.

Tags: None

Hi EDDIE101

Welcome to LB

Try not to worry.

Did your solicitor keep you updated regards the costs as the case progressed?

I don't know what he's done on the case in hours / units etc. You will have some idea. Do your own spreadsheet, then you will know for certain.

How are the other elements being charged, i.e. email = £27 ex VAT.

How much is a letter, etc ?

Have a read of the following:-

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/me...service-v3.pdf

Comment

Hi,
      I have not used a solicitor for myself - big mistake.

The claimants solicitor has just sent a spreadsheet at this point listing all the items 171 units which is
      £4651.20+VAT (£5581.44) - so per unit is £27.19 + vat roughly i guess.

So reading an email fro me he has charged 1 unit.

I can attach the spreadsheet if that helps.

But has said
      With a view to concluding costs swiftly we are prepared to accept £3750+VAT (£4500)

The other odd thing is that they do not have their vat number on any letterheads or website so I am querying can they charge VAT?

I really need some guidance as to what to do next.

Comment

What was the amount of the original claim? You *may* be able to argue on assessment that small claims costs rules should apply.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes, upload the spreadsheet without personal details / identification.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie101 View Post
            Hi,
            The other odd thing is that they do not have their vat number on any letterheads or website so I am querying can they charge VAT?
            They only need to show their VAT number on an actual invoice so there's nothing odd about it not appearing on their letterhead or website.

Fundamentally though, how did the costs get so high? If you did not protect the deposit, did you not just immediately agree to their initial claim or was there more to it than that?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X