• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"Based on the same facts..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Based on the same facts..."

I took a company to court, because they wouldn't exchange faulty goods. They sent me a settlement agreement to sign and email back to them, which I did - but at the same time they had made an application to the court which I didn't know about, not mentioning the settlement negotiations at all, and arguing they were not liable. Got the case struck out.

I have now started a new claim as I have been advised they breached the settlement agreement by not paying it and I can hold them responsible for that.

They have made another application to strike out my claim, arguing that the crux of my claim against them has already been dealt with in a hearing - and not mentioning the settlement agreement, again.

They want it thrown out as they say my case is based on the same facts - despite this being the first time I have brought the breached settlement to the attention of the court.

Can anyone advise how this is, as per their interpretation, based on the same facts?

Tags: None

FYI: The agreement only required my signature, no witness to it was required, nor a signature from them.

Comment

Is the settlement agreement agreed? Did they sign it?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

AshDunn - ignoring the question of the settlement agreement for the moment, how did the defendant get the case "struck out"?

Did you not comply with all the legal technicalities involved in bringing a claim, or did a judge actually find against on the basis of your claim? (eg the goods were not faulty as you claimed)

Comment

The sneaky bastards found out I was abroad, and instead of cancelling the claim as arranged, they attended the application hearing. I found out afterwards.

There was no space on the settlement to add their own signature, just a space for mine, and a date, all filled in and sent back well before this application hearing.

It appeared, and still does, that they did it all on purpose.

Think it was struck out in the end because I was not there to represent myself so judge only heard their side of the case.

Comment

Did you know about the hearing date in advance? If so, why did you not attend? Was that decision based on anything said by the other party, and if so what?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I endeavoured to get it adjourned until my return, but it was a court in London and communications via phone and email were utterly useless.

Comment

When was this?

Comment

Last year.

Comment

Probably a bit late to ask the court to review the decision made in your absence.

Comment

I consider the breach of the settlement agreement a separate issues from the substance of the complaint/original case itself. i.e. not based on the same facts. Am I right? Agreement (breached) was to settle the claim, whereas claim itself was the substance of my complaint about the company.

Comment

You have not demonstrated that there was a concluded settlement agreement. If there was, your claim is for performance by the other party of its obligations, presumably to pay you a specified sum.

Comment

Please ignore. Wrong thread.

Comment

atticus thank you. I know I can prove this - but I am just trying to confirm that this is not the same claim as the original claim itself, as they say, and is therefore not second bit of the cherry?

Comment

A claim for payment of sums agreed in a settlement agreement would be a different claim, based on a different cause of action.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X