• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are Royal Mail in breach of GDPR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Royal Mail in breach of GDPR?

So I've been having an ongoing problem for quite some time where I'm not getting my mail. I know where its going. A lot of my mail is going to another flat on the other side of the street who has the same door number as me. I know this because I have tracked a few of my parcels to his address in the past where they have been opened by him when I've gone to collect them. I've not had any mail since early August I've had two parcels go missing marked as delivered and many letters such as bank statements, letters from my GP etc, people have been telling me that they had sent out letters but I've not received anything no mail at all.

I have made complaints to Royal Mail about this but they never really go anywhere and they are always getting new postmen who don't know how read post codes or know the general area. I do not want my letters being read or chucked in a bin where my personal information can be seen by anybody. This guy opens my mail and I don't know where my private information will go from there, he could be doing anything with it. This is the fault of Royal Mail. I am at my wits end with this. I'm tired of complaining.I have asked at the royal mail sorting office if I could collect my mail instead but they said no.

Is there anything else I can do to resolve this?
    Tags: None

Why have you got the same number as your neighbour?

You could tell the post office what you want to do is remove the house number and have a name instead. I'm not sure how you go about doing it, but it should be possible. Then Royal Mail would have no reason to get it wrong. But remember to tell everyone.

Once you've complained to Royal Mail, follow their complaints procedure.

Also speak to the ICO.

Comment

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...e%20doing%20so.

Good luck!

Comment

Technically, there would be a breach for delivering your mail to the wrong address but they could have an arguable defence that they reasonably assumed the address was correct unless you can show otherwise. However, once you put them on notice then they should be taking every reasonable step to update their processes so that the mail stops being delivered to the wrong address.

I would be inclined to bypass what Des and eChat are suggesting and instead make a direct complaint to their data protection officer. Their details can be found below but email would be the most efficient way of handling this. Explain your story and that you have made several attempts to resolve this but RM continue to send your post to the wrong address despite telling them not to do that. Their continuing ignorance is a breach of data protection laws and you will be seeking to hold them responsible including a formal complaint to the ICO as well as legal proceedings for compensation unless they take immediate action to update their records and inform those who are delivering the post are sending it to the proper address. You may need to use a drawing or Google Maps to explain the confusion and mix up as I would expect them to ask about that.

Privacy notice | Royal Mail Group Ltd (Section 10 How to Contact Us)
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The difficulty is going to be the following, 'A lot of my mail is going to another flat on the other side of the street who has the same door number as me.'

Do you get your neighbours mail?

Comment

The flat across the street from me has the same door number and a different road name plus a different post code but because both locations are so close together its easy for an inexperienced/ or new postal workers who don't know the area to post my mail to the wrong address, many postal workers are also in a rush and don't always properly check addresses neither. Despite my complaints to royal mail about this & not getting anywhere I will take the above posters advice and make a direct complaint to their data protection officer as well as going to the ICO. I may also see if I can have a word with the council about proper signage so that confused postal workers know the correct post codes.
            Last edited by Rob1111; 19th September 2023, 21:59:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X