• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unwanted contact from police officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted contact from police officer

So the other morning I entered a London Underground Train Station where a transport police officer grabbed me before asking me to show my Oyster card to him, there were also other police officers there who failed to identify I produced my Oyster card and when I ask the officer to identify I was threatened with arrest if I didn't move on. I have video evidence.

What would be the next step?

I am London based, could anybody recommend a good solicitor?

Thanks.
    Tags: None

I would be grateful that they are there trying to stop fare evaders, Your pride has taken a hit, but they are trying to stop those ridiculous high tube fares getting any higher. When I was in the City, this would happen to me at least once a week. get over it and get on with life.

Comment

Transport for London staff, supported by British Transport Police, carry out ticket checks at stations to catch fare evaders regularly, which as you live in London I expect you know. I can't see what legal basis for complaint you have because they checked your Oyster card.

If you believe a police officer was rude or acted improperly your first step is to make a complaint to the BTP. You don't need a solicitor.

Complaints | British Transport Police (btp.police.uk)
      Last edited by PallasAthena; 17th July 2023, 10:28:AM. Reason: Spelling
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

A complaint to London Transport is the way to go,see what they have to say.

You shouldn't be threatened with arrest for asking for his tag details.

customerservices@tfl.gov.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
          Transport for London staff, supported by British Transport Police, carry out ticket checks at stations to catch fare evaders regularly, which as you live in London I expect you know. I can't see what legal basis for complaint you have because they checked your Oyster card.

If you believe a police officer was rude or acted improperly your first step is to make a complaint to the BTP. You don't need a solicitor.

The police officer had no right to touch me. This is assault as its unwanted contact that will be the basis of my complaint and I have video evidence. I feel very strongly about this sort of thing because the police have polices that they don't follow and the fact I was threatened with arrest if I didn't move on, officers failing to identify just says it all. Its very important because members of the public are not there to be abused by police. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior by police anymore. We are all human beings with rights and deserve to be treated with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by tesla6518 View Post
            I would be grateful that they are there trying to stop fare evaders, Your pride has taken a hit, but they are trying to stop those ridiculous high tube fares getting any higher. When I was in the City, this would happen to me at least once a week. get over it and get on with life.
            It doesn't give officers a right to grab members of the public "before" asking to see somebodies oyster card. We have rights in this country that we need to fight for, our rights should not to be infringed on by police.

Comment

I get what you are saying, they get away with something, then think it's o.k., it becomes the norm to them.

Comment

Rob1111 OK, so the answer to your original question - "What would be the next step?" - is as advised earlier in the thread. Make a formal complaint to British Transport Police about the conduct of their officer. You don't need a solicitor to make a complaint.

​​​​​​​
                Let us know how you get on.
                All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1111 View Post
                  So the other morning I entered a London Underground Train Station where a transport police officer grabbed me before asking me to show my Oyster card to him, there were also other police officers there who failed to identify I produced my Oyster card and when I ask the officer to identify I was threatened with arrest if I didn't move on. I have video evidence.

What would be the next step?

I am London based, could anybody recommend a good solicitor?

Thanks.
                  Would it be possible to post up the video evidence to assess the extent of the "unwanted contact"?

Comment

If you do 'pixelate' faces etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X