• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disability discrimination by police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability discrimination by police

Hi All

I've had an ongoing complaint against my local police force since February this year. Very long story, but gist is: Police found out I had a cancer diagnosis and within a couple of hours they had decided I was at risk of self harm and a risk to public safety. This is without ANY contact with myself to discuss my diagnosis and without ANY contact with my GP or Oncologist.

I made a complaint under the Disability Discrimination Act to the forces' Professional Standards unit.

Full disclosure, the day before this happened a friend of my wife called the police as she was 'concerned' with how my wife was handling my diagnosis as we'd argued, once, regarding money and working through treatment etc. (wife has MH history).

Police made a welfare check and confirmed there was "No signs of disturbance or tension between the couple" and "No concerns for mental health of [wife]". Direct quote from officers report.

After I made the DDA complaint about my disability being used to make a blanket decision that all cancer patients are a public safety risk or at risk of self harm, the Inspector who decided I was potentially suicidal, decided to translate the report from the welfare check into 'domestic turmoil' [in the relationship] and [family member] is suicidal'. Direct quote from Inspectors documentation obtained via SAR.

My initial SAR produced a bunch of documents which were almost 100% redacted as they mentioned my wife and her MH problems; my wife then gave permission for the redaction (on her behalf) to be removed. Less redacted documents were then sent to me today.

I received via the SAR a non-redacted copy of an email trail between the Professional Standards department and the Inspector who classed me as a 'risk' which I read as showing that my complaint was never going to get anywhere and was 'shut down' at the request of the Inspector.

Email from the Inspector to Professional Standards:
    "Mr 'walesdave' can complain and seek legal advice all he wants but the above [decision to class as a risk] will not change [...]. Hope this helps but ultimately this needs to be closed down". (My bold)

Question is: Does this statement from the Inspector show she has deliberately hindered my complaint against her?

And if you're wondering, this was about having my target rifles seized even though I have a letter from my Oncologist and GP stating they have no concerns regarding my mental health and that I am engaing in treatment and am of {Oncologists words] 'Of a sound mind'.
    Tags: None

what are you trying to achieve by this. are there any other reasons connected to them visiting. what actually is your gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by K147 View Post
      what are you trying to achieve by this. are there any other reasons connected to them visiting. what actually is your gripe.
      As asked.

"Question is: Does this statement from the Inspector show she has deliberately hindered my complaint against her?"

Comment

What was the outcome of your complaint to the police Professional Standards Unit?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
          What was the outcome of your complaint to the police Professional Standards Unit?
          Complaint was partly upheld (a very minor part).

1. Upheld: Officer who seized my guns should have been clearer about the reason for the seizure
          2. Rejected: There was no disability discrimination

Comment

Macmillan cancer might be able to give you financial support, if that helps. I hope all goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by alexT123 View Post
              Macmillan cancer might be able to give you financial support, if that helps. I hope all goes well.

Thanks for the advice. My solicitor has recommended calling the Equality and Human Rights Commission as they sometimes help fund legal action - I'll update what happens!

Comment

Its typical of the police, its either that they are not very intelligent or they love making peoples lives hell. I am beyond fed up with the police the way I have been treated. Good luck trying to get anywhere with things.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X