• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Common Assault Charges (advice)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Assault Charges (advice)

Hello,

I have been assaulted on a night out over a year ago by two women. They then accused me of being the assailant and I am now being charged with common assault. One of the women have since dropped out of the alleged charges due to accusing the other party of the same thing (common assault). I have a completely clean criminal record in contrast to the ”complainant” as she has previous charges of common assault!
    The CPS are really dragging their feet, my solicitor is struggling to get information from the CPS, which means this is ongoing and attending court for me is a 400 mile trip.

I have invested in a decent lawyer to fight it and I don’t even know if this is worth it—as I’ve nearly spent £10,000 for legal representation. I’m not even sure it is worth the money, at this point. Due to my job, criminal charges would impact me enormously and I have absolutely no past history of any criminal wrongdoings (and therefore, absolutely NO clue about legal matters).

Any advice would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks so much.
    Tags: None

Hello. Can you tell us what stage you are at? Have you entered a plea? Is a trial date fixed? There is usually one hearing prior to a trial - have you had more? Were any directions on disclosure made by the court?

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      I have plead not guilty, first was my plea hearing. My trial date was in July and then was adjourned for the end of December (where I attended court and this was also adjourned as my case didn’t take priority) so this is the third time attending (case due on Friday this week).
      My solicitor has advised me that she has made a direction for disclosure of the complainants bad character, they still haven’t received it. They have given CPS plenty of time to comply, but they have not. So they have asked the court to list the case for non-compliance.
      I’m not really sure what that means for the case and whether the trial will go ahead this Friday. :/

Comment

Thank you for the info. A bad character application will usually need a hearing of its own prior to the trial (if the CPS object). Is your solicitor awaiting anything else from the CPS? Last minute disclosure is often the way it is now...but if you have not had what you are entitled to under the law then it would not be in the interests of justice for your case to go ahead until you have. It is worth having a solicitor - money well spent if it saves you from a conviction which will have a severe impact upon you. The delay is usual but terrible and inexcusable. We are listing trials well into 2024 now

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X