• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Direct access barrister rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct access barrister rules

A barrister is conducting litigation 'on behalf of' a company.
    It's not clear atm whether the barrister is an employee of the company, or whether he has been engaged as an independant representative.
    From my reading of the Bar Standards Code of Practice (CoP), there are rules applicable to both scenarios (licences, permissions etc.).
    I have made enquiries with the Bar Standards Board, but not too much joy atm, other than being directed to the CoP.
    & I reckon you need to be a barrister to understand it, lol.
    Can anyone assist........in plain English?
    Tia.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Have you checked Linkedin?

It's the sort of stuff that you will find there.

Comment

What does the letterhead on which the barrister writes tell you?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        Have you checked Linkedin?

It's the sort of stuff that you will find there.
        Oh yes, lol.
        Quite a lot of interesting info there.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          What does the letterhead on which the barrister writes tell you?
          The barrister hasn't sent any letters as such. All letters prior to litigation have been in a company name.
          No names given at the bottom of company headed stationary....just 'Yours sincerely, [company name].
          But for litigation, the court claim form & claimant's witness statement etc are '[barrister's name] on behalf of [the company]'.
          The address for document service is that of the company
          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Oh yes, lol.
            Quite a lot of interesting info there.
            Have you checked the company's website to see who their in-house solicitors / advisors are?

Ring the company up, speak to the receptionist, ask the question, 'does xxxxxxx xxxxxx work here? No doubt they will go into what is what.

Comment

Have you checked the company's website to see who their in-house solicitors / advisors are?

Ring the company up, speak to the receptionist, ask the question, 'does xxxxxxx xxxxxx work here? No doubt they will go into what is what.
              The website is devoid of all but the most basic info.
              There is no phone number given, either on the website or on any company paperwork.
              At best there is an email address, but it is a general one used for multiple reasons. I have a suspicion that it is directed to another (sister) company, a seperate legal entity. Again, any responses are signed off by the company....no name or department given. I get the feeling that it is a shell company, existing only on paper &, for legal purposes, at Co. House.

Btw, when I 'follow the money', all the companies which appear to be part of a 'group' are owned by a managed fund investment outfit.
              Last edited by charitynjw; 9th May 2023, 13:40:PM.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Have you checked the DNS / IP?

Comment

Have you asked the chap? What he says might be illuminating.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Have you asked the chap? What he says might be illuminating.
                    I would prefer doing so from a position of reasonable knowledge of the subject.
                    It is unlikely that the person concerned would readily admit to wrongdoing. In this particular case it is much more likely that I would be just told "prove it".....which is what I'm trying to do.
                    This is just a small part of a much bigger problem currently in litigation.
                    It seems expedient to put everything 'on the table', as it were.
                    Last edited by charitynjw; 9th May 2023, 20:59:PM.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Have you checked the DNS / IP?
                      A website for the company does exist.
                      It is just about as minimal as possible.....largely just a payment portal.
                      Complaints must be made in writing using land mail only.
                      According to the website privacy policy, the DPO can be contacted via land mail to that same address or by email.
                      The land mail address is the one registered at Co. House.
                      A friend of mine, who lives nearby, has visited that address. It appears to be a serviced office used by many different firms.
                      There are no personnel employed by the target company operating from that address.
                      I wouldn't know how to check IP address, & much less know the significance of any info obtained by tracing it.....but I think I know someone who might.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ask, don't accuse.

Comment

Ask, don't accuse.
                          Hi ATTICUS.

I have tried that approach with other issues in this court case.
                          They evade direct questioning like teflon &, when pressed, they say "prove it".
                          Given my previous efforts & their recalcitrant attitude, I would prefer not to ask questions in court when I do not know already the answers.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

My recommendation is always to keep your eye on the ball of proving your case. When I did litigation, I was always happy when the opposing party allowed itself to be distracted from that.

Comment

If it bothers you that much then you could, on the basis that they are being extremely evasive and non-responsive to what should be a very straightforward answer to a simple question:

1. Report the person to the BSB on the basis they are representing themselves as a barrister authorised to conduct litigation when you have reasonable to suspect they are not. If they are not listed on the BSB register then you can point to that as evidence they are conducting reserved legal activities contrary to the Legal Services Act 2007 (I am assuming you have asked them in what capacity they are acting and if they do act as a barrister then you have requested their BSB number as evidence).

2. Put them on notice that due to their evasiveness as to their capacity, whether an employee or a self employed barrister, you have reason to suspect that said person is committing a criminal offence under the LSA 2007 by carrying out reserved legal activities contrary for which they are not authorised to do so that you will ask the court to prohibit said person from acting on behalf of the company in said proceedings, and you will produce this letter/email together with other relevant correspondence as evidence that that there is good reason to suspect they have committed and are continuing to commit an offence by conducting litigation when challenged as to the legal basis on which they are acting. Invite them to withdraw from acting and confirm the same by email/letter.

Leave it at that and raise it at the start of proceedings if you wish but probably best to submit that issue as a preliminary point to be discussed as part of a letter to the court (make sure to copy the other side in if emailing the court) or a skeleton argument. The onus will be on that individual to prove what they are doing is not a criminal offence.

Unfortunately, unless you are prepared to make an application for committal in the High Court, it's unlikely much will be done other than the BSB may investigate and/or take no further action.
                              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X