• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possible fraudulent 3rd party claim on car insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atticus, your defence is kind, but I assume that the car type was identifiable. It would seem a coincidence indeed to have the same make model and colour.

Comment

Manxman

My insurers definitely understand the situation, i've made that 100% clear constantly.

I'm recording phone calls and am getting what i can in writing, can never have too much. No-one but me drives my car, i can prove where i was but can't prove the car was there with me, much like they can't prove it was there either, which would be difficult as it wasn't.

I did think of the cloning thing as well, it's either that or wrong reg i'm guessing, if not them i'm intriqued as to what is going on. It's the reason i asked on here as to whether there is anything i may be missing...Belt and braces for sure though....

atticus

I'm just waiting for my insurance company to come back to me, i spoke to them again this morning, they're going back to ask for some proof, they should've done that to start with, would've saved a lot of hassle and would sort things straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
        Atticus, your defence is kind, but I assume that the car type was identifiable. It would seem a coincidence indeed to have the same make model and colour.
        I'm not entirely certain what you are getting at, but if you were going to clone a car's registration plate - for whatever purpose - wouldn't you deliberately choose one* that belonged to the same make, model and colour of the car you are using? It wouldn't be a coincidence at all - it would be intentional. (I understand that people who want to clone plates will scour the web pages of Auto Trader and other selling sites looking for suitable cars to clone. A suitable car being one of the same make, model and colour).

The OP has clearly said that they had not given anybody permission to drive their car, and I haven't read anything in their posts to suggest otherwise.

The story they've told is perfectly consistent with either cloned plates or a mis-read (or mis-transcribed) number plate. As dealers often sell cars of the same make, model and colour with consecutive (or near consecutive) number plates, it can be easy to end up in a situation of mistaken identity where one car gets mistaken for another one.

Misreads and cloning are often only discovered where the car carrying the cloned plates commits some offence caught on CCTV or ANPR etc and the innocent owner only discovers when they are contacted by the police (eg speeding) or local authority traffic enforcement (eg bus lane violations).

Or if the miscreant is stupid enough to get in an accident and insurers get involved...

*The point being that putting a cloned plate on a car as similar as possible to the original car is less likely to attract additional unwanted attention if it should come to the notice of the authorities for any reason.

Comment

Quick update, Insurance have said that that one of 3 things will happen,

They will supply proof of my car being there, which won't happen because it wasn't.

The other insurers will redirect towards someone else and that will be the end of it.

They may start legal action that could end up in court, asked me if i would be prepared to go, well sure i would if it's nowt to do with me....

Watch this space...

Comment

Originally posted by Aukey View Post

... They may start legal action that could end up in court, asked me if i would be prepared to go, well sure i would if it's nowt to do with me....

Watch this space...
            Yes. It will almost certainly be a condition of your insurance that if it ends up in court you will have to cooperate fully with your insurer if they want you to testify etc.

Comment

Update, insurance came to an end so went elsewhere, the following day I got a message saying they were closing the case...

Comment

Dsljppy is you are referring to this statement "i now have a letter saying i haven't notified them of the accident despite previous correspondence and the lady that was driving my car wasn't insured on my car at the time." he has never said that he allowed a woman to drive his car.

I recently had a problem where I received a notice before prosecution and several parking fines. I requested further details from the police and they sent me a photo of the car going through a speed camera zone. Yes it was a Mercedes Benz and yes it was silver in colour and lo and behold it was me reg number.
                however after looking at the photo properly I saw that it was a CLC 200. Mine is a CLC180 Kompressor. So the police apologised after I complained that they should have checked properly rather than just relying on DVLA data. once I had the letter from the police the parking companies had no choice but to rescind the parking tickets.

So be warned when you get the photo of the car, check it for minute details that will hopefully reveal it was not your car.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X