• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Exclusive Right of Burial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclusive Right of Burial

Hi

This is the first time I am posting on this forum. Its very possible I have posted this in the incorrect space on this forum and if this is the case can anyone please advise the correct space?

I have a number of questions in respect of the 'exclusive right of burial'.

The circumstances are that my mother passed away in November of 2021 and was buried in a local authority controlled cemetery local to where we live in the UK. The paperwork in relation to the burial was all arranged by the local Church I attend. Unknown to me at the time I have since become aware that the grave space used for the burial is in fact a double grave situation and the Church apparently have a right to be able to arrange another burial on top in the same grave space. This of course raises a number of legitimate concerns to my mind. Having tried to speak to those in the committee that run the Church it has become clear to me that my concerns are falling on deaf ears and I need to know where I stand legally with this. I am aware that there are other grieving family members who have lost loves ones who are in the same position as I. Chiefly, I have the following questions:

1). My understanding is that the use of the grave results in the grant of an exclusive right of burial for a set period of time in years and with that grant or deed comes a right to be able to place a memorial of an agreed size and type when I choose to do so. Is that correct?

2). In a double grave situation, would there effectively be 2 grants of exclusive rights of burial or just the 1 for each double grave space that currently exists in the name of the Church?

3). If the Church do not agree to complete a transfer of deed document transferring ownership to me (upon any payment they may ask for and for which I am willing to give), is there anything I can do in respect of that?

4). Under what aspect of English Law would I be seeking to challenge this scenario if it were to go to Court? I presume this straddles a number of areas, eg consumer law, lease law, land law, contract law or general dispute? Which one single area of law or combination would I be seeking to raise a challenge?

5). Would any alternative dispute resolution ie mediation be necessary if they are not willing to speak to me prior to going to Court?

6). I have heard that a pre action protocol letter per the Civil Procedure Rules could be used, is this an accepted method of resolution in such disputes?

7). What aspect of law has brought about the use of double grave spaces? As far as my understanding is, according to the local authority the land was sold (not sure on what basis) back in 2009. Is it any section of the CoVid 19 Act that has brought about this change as I have never heard of a double grave space prior to the pandemic?

8). I have an invoice produced by the Church following burial which I have paid in full. Am I right in saying that there is effectively a contract here in existence and I have performed my side of the contract by making the payment although the Church have not performed their side as they are not willing to transfer the deeds into my name?

9). Is there any claim I can bring for withholding my right to erect a memorial on the grave as I would need to have the deeds in my name?

I apologise for the length of this post and for the number of questions. I am happy to answer and further questions you may pose prior to my getting any reply.

Many Thanks and Regards

Tags: None

It is an arrangement between you and the church. The exact arrangements may be governed by church measures, so nothing to do with, civil courts.
    Grave space is so very scarce, and if you want the privilege of burial, it comes with limitations of the sort you describe.

Comment

This was my experience year of April 1964 our Nan was buried (there was a burial on top of another" in what is named a "common" grave at Manor Park. London, I went to the grave where Nan was interred around 1968, and I went back to visit a few years later to find all graves were removed, the reason the ground was wanted for building, we then asked one of the groundsmen what had happened to the graves, reply they are all interred under the roadway you just drove over. I complained and was told it took an act of Parliament. Disgusted, as I understood that a burial was to leave the grave for one hundred years and one day.

Comment

Where did that understanding come from?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi
          Thank you to all that have posted a reply. I appreciate the points that have been raised and and do have a better understanding of my position. Once again, many thanks.
          Regards

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            Where did that understanding come from?
            Good Morning Atticus. Understanding. That was what I understood, that when a person has passed away burial is for 100 years and one day so that no relatives will survive the passed away family member, and no longer greave, but it seems in our case money and greed took precedence. PS There is now a block of flats where our Nan was buried.

Comment

I asked as it was not something I had ever heard. I wonder if anyone else had that understanding.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I have not ever heard of it.

Comment

Now I have heard that belief, but think it is a case of Chinese whispers changing the rule that the exclusive right of burial in a local authority cemetery must not by law exceed 100 years (Local Authorities Cemeteries order 1977 Sec8 (2)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X