• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How long does a CCJ stay live for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a CCJ stay live for?

I had one against me from my old Uni in 2012 for unpaid fees. Anyway it fell off my credit record, and now I am asking the Uni for a replacement degree certificate but they refuse to send, due to the debt.

I did some research. It seems that as this is no longer legally recognised as a debt, they can't enforce it and the thinking is they should have attempted ot enforce in the six years it was legal to do so.

In which case, withholding my degree certificate on non-existent legal grounds is illegal, I think?

any thoughts moving forward?
    Tags: None

CCJs stay on your credit file for 6 years and the judgment creditor will have 6 years to enforce that judgment debt. If the 6 years has passed and no action is taken, it means the creditor will need to apply to the court to get permission them to enforce the debt. Normally there should be a good reason why they haven't enforced it within the last 6 years.

Unless there are any rules or terms and conditions around replacement certificates which say that they have the discretion to refuse a replacement if you owe money to the university, I can't see why they should refuse the replacement because you have an outstanding debt which they have chosen not to enforce.

Short of going to court and asking the court to force the university to provide a replacement degree certificate, I am not sure what you can do as it is a tit for tat situation. I don't think there is alternative options as I am not aware of any ombudsman service that would or could cover this kind of situation.

Have you challenged the university as to what legal basis they are entitled to refuse a replacement certificate, especially if the debt is unrelated and unconnected to your request?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X