• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Service

I've been summoned for Jury Service. However the dates clash with the proposed date of our IVF surgery. I contacted the help line number and was advised to put in a postponement request explaining the reasons. They also advised that this was the best course of action instead of a deferral.

Had an email at 21:45 last night rejecting my request. Aside from the ridiculous time they sent it I was surprised by the decision. I'm wondering if they automatically reject all requests at first until you appeal.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with the appeal? Obviously I will be supplying all of the evidence showing the appointments and treatment.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Never been called for jury service so I don't have any personal advice but the .Gov website says that a good reason could be the fact you are having an operation. Did the email rejecting the request give any reasons why it was rejected?

I don't know how invasive IVF surgery is, but is there any reason why that cannot be postponed instead? If not, why not? You may want to consider getting the doctor/surgeon performing the IVF surgery to provide a letter as to why the surgery cannot be postponed and any effects on delay. Also think about cost implications if you have gone privately, that you may have to suck up and lost out on if you attend jury service which the knock on effect could be that you may not be able to afford to pay again - all relevant and genuine reasons for deferring jury service.

If you check the .Gov website it says that in addition to an operation, holidays are also a reasonable excuse to postpone jury service so in my mind I would have thought IVF surgery is a perfectly legitimate excuse.

Sounds like the person reviewing your request is just being awkward so get the appeal in and make sure to be clear and succinct with plenty of evidence (referring to the .gov website also will be helpful) and hopefully you should be fine.

Also check out the guidance here for summoning officers, there may be something in there that you can point out in your appeal that is relatable to your situation.

Guidance for summoning officers when considering deferral and excusal applications (publishing.service.gov.uk)
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Yes; we have gone privately which makes the initial decision even more galling from a cost perspective.

Unfortunately it is time sensitive, we're in the middle of a round of injections which means July is the most viable date, we're going for something called a 'Live Transfer' which means we both need to be there at the same time. If it cannot go ahead in July we need to go through another round of drug treatment and start again in 3/4 months.

No reason whatsoever; "Thank you for replying to your jury summons. We have come to the decision to refuse your request to be excused from jury service. You will still need to attend court as summoned"

We're going to appeal and should have the letters from the Clinic and GP etc on Monday as we're back up in London for another appointment so will collect them then.

Comment

Based on the response and in addition to any supporting evidence I would also be inclined for them to explain why they have not given reasons that private IVF surgery - being a costly expense, is not a good enough reason to defer jury service yet, a pre-booked holiday is a perfectly adequate reason to defer jury service as described on the .gov website.

Intrigued on the outcome so do let us know how you get on

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I do not know the answer. I do not see that people shpou;d be able to get out of jury service easily, and I suspect that many trivial reasons are given.
          I would persist.

Comment

inform jury service office impending operation/treatment they will no doubt postpone to sometime in future, no big hasstle.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
              inform jury service office impending operation/treatment they will no doubt postpone to sometime in future, no big hasstle.
              We did. They said no. Hence going forward with the appeal.

Putting the appeal in Monday once we have the final piece of evidence needed

Comment

Just to give a quick update... The IVF medication my wife is on means in theory her period should start a week early so should not clash with Jury Duty.

Thanks to everyone who commented for their help and support.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X