• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data breach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data breach

Good evening,

I have been the victim of a data breach, where a law firm has shared my personal details (full name, date of birth and address) with a third party. I also received the personal details of a third party. I responded to the firm to say that this information does not belong to me. A few days later I received an email from the Head of Professional Ethics & Risk Management who informed me about my details being shared and also told me they have asked the third party to delete the email containing my personal detail. They will then inform me that this has been done. It has now been 3 days since that email and I haven't had any update on my details being deleted. Now I am very concerned that someone has my full name, date of birth and address. What steps can I take to ensure I do not become a victim of fraud and can I claim compensation?

Thank you,
    Idah88
    Tags: None

Hi,

Did the person who emailed you say that they have reported the matter to the ICO? If not, you may want to do that as part of your complaint if you feel it is warranted. I would give it a week before writing back to the person and asking for an update, explaining that the information shared is enough for someone to impersonate you and result in becoming a victim of fraud and the fact that they have not confirmed that the information has been deleted is quite worrying.

As for compensation, it's a bit hit and miss if you pursued this by commencing legal proceedings because trivial matters or matters that do not meet the minimum threshold would no attract compensation. If you are expecting thousands of pounds of compensation then you might want to re-think that position, if anything you might think the low to mid hundreds at best. Of course the longer this goes on without confirmation means there could be a real risk of them using your information to your detriment that could be a reason to increase compensation due to distress.

Equally, you may want to insist on them paying for a 12 month subscription to Experian or another credit reference agency to monitor your credit file, in addition to any compensation you are looking for.

Another option may be that if they cannot confirm the third party has deleted the information then they obtain a court order for the third party to delete and confirm it has been deleted. I doubt they would want to agree to this and may even offer the excuse of saying that it is disproportionate but on the flip side, they've shared certain information whether by mistake or not, it is their problem and so they should sort it by taking reasonable steps.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You could send / email the law firm the following template, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/raising-concerns/

See what they comeback with.

Comment

Idah88 your not from Swadlincote by any chance are you? Its probably just a coincidence but I found some one else's records within my data records from my solicitors recently. It's obviously happening far too often

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X