• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please regarding a liability claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please regarding a liability claim

Hello. I'm new to this forum, so if this is the wrong place to post this message, please let me know.
    On holiday at a large rental house a family member stepped into a rabbit hole in a child's play area and fractured a bone in her foot. We submitted a claim to the company who own the property and their insurer has admitted liability last September. They asked for details of the person who was injured and also provide medical evidence of their injury by way of hospital records, appointments, GP notes and any discharge reports. The details of the person who was injured was sent to them along with an NHS in November 2021. Three and a half months past and we hadn't received a reply or acknowledgement of the information. I contacted them again and asked what the delay was and in March this year they replied to say that they are awaiting medical records and as the person who was injured is a minor we are required to obtain legal representation. This was never mentioned when they admitted liability in September last year.

I submitted a complaint and advised them that the medical information they asked for was submitted in November last year. I have received a response from the company who confirmed "It will be necessary for you to obtain a medical report detailing the extent of the claimant’s injuries and giving a prognosis. A report from the treating consultant would not normally be accepted and without a firm prognosis we are unable to value the claim"

The NHS letter from the consultant confirmed what the injury was and the treatment provided. The letter ends by discharging the patient and handing care back to the doctor. Basically an X ray confirmed the injury and a splint was required and after a certain time period the splint could be discarded.

The company also confirmed the following:

"Upon receipt of appropriate evidence an offer will be made and if accepted, as the claimant is a minor being aged under eighteen, and given the nature of the injury sustained it will then be necessary to obtain Court approval for the settlement. It would be for the claimant’s representative to instigate the appropriate proceedings. It is for you to decide how you wish to proceed to comply with the above requirements and the reason why our handler indicated legal representation would be required is due to the complexities of bring a personal injury claim for a minor".

Can anyone please help? Is it necessary to employ a legal representative and will we need to obtain a medical report? I feel that they are just making things as difficult as possible in the hope that we will go away. When I phoned the company a representative did mention, without going into any detail that there was an alternative to going to court where it was an agreement between the parent and insurer

Regards

Adrian.

Tags: None

trust the child has mended without lasting problems.

The insurance company is really acting in the interest of the child, and making sure they themselves don't get accused of inappropriate pressure.

it is quite a complicated situation when injuries to children give rise to liability claims, and to save a lot of typing I suggest you read the attached link : https://www.hopkins-solicitors.co.uk...t-go-to-court/

This is not an endorsement of the firm, but is a good explanation of the processes

Comment

Thanks very much for your help. I'll follow the link and read the document.

Regards
      Adrian

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X