• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thief flatmate at old student accommodation stole TV and I'm getting charged for it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief flatmate at old student accommodation stole TV and I'm getting charged for it!

Hello,

I had posted explaining about my issues with my old flatmate a couple of months ago here if you want to see my rants about him:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...7#post95112317

My accommodation contract finishes on the 28th August 2021 but because of how unsafe I felt and how difficult it was to study there, I left the accommodation on the 11th of May 2021 and on the 13th, I sent an email to the accommodation saying that I've moved away and had warned them about the flatmate.

They had replied back by saying "We will leave a note on your account regarding the issues you have experienced with your flatmate for us to investigate upon check out".
    But now they tell me the TV was missing and I am getting charged for it.

I have a video which I took a day before moving(10th May ) to show the movers how many boxes are there to move which shows the TV being there. I have screenshots of talking with the movers via text and WhatsApp where I sent the video that they indeed moved me on the 11th of May. I have the email warning them about the flatmate and them saying "We will leave a note on your account regarding the issues you have experienced with your flatmate for us to investigate upon check out"- Can I hold this statement against the accommodation so I can claim that they know about moving out and so is proof that I was not responsible for the stolen TV?
    Secondly, is the video as well as the text messages, an invoice from the moving company and the CCTV footage from the accommodation from that day enough proof that 1) I had moved out and 2) I did not steal the TV?

Would this be enough for me to not get charged?

If all these fail, what else can I do to not let the money get cut from my account? Can I take the accommodation and or the flatmate to court?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi MUTTSANG

You have a lot of evidence that you are not responsible for the missing TV. You need send them an emailing stating that you have evidence to prove that is not the case. Also send them a SAR, they will provide all the data they have on your accommodation / account. They have 30 days to do that, Request CCTV footage, but they might not have that due to the time that's elapsed.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ed-debt-letter

See what their response is and update the thread.

Comment

To stop money being taken from your account instruct the bank that you have withdrawn the authority that your landlord holds, and that no money should be paid to them.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        To stop money being taken from your account instruct the bank that you have withdrawn the authority that your landlord holds, and that no money should be paid to them.
        Excellent advice.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          Hi MUTTSANG

You have a lot of evidence that you are not responsible for the missing TV. You need send them an emailing stating that you have evidence to prove that is not the case. Also send them a SAR, they will provide all the data they have on your accommodation / account. They have 30 days to do that, Request CCTV footage, but they might not have that due to the time that's elapsed.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ed-debt-letter

See what their response is and update the thread.
          Hello and thanks for your advice!
          I have sent them an email with all the evidence and with the email thread where they said that they'll leave a note on my account.
          They've replied back by saying that they've sent my email to their "management" and they'll get back to me.

At this time and point, I do not think "Suspicious Activity Report" is necessary as I am not entirely sure how I'll use it? If you could elaborate, that would be really helpful as well. But I will keep SAR in mind in case I need it and try to understand what exactly it is as I had not heard of it before your advice.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll surely keep this thread updated.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            thanks for the advice! sadly the money is going to be taken from the deposit I had initially put down for the place.
            But I will remember your advice if I get into a situation that you've given advice for!

Comment

The deposit is legally yours, and assuming it is in a protected you should, when your tenancy ends, write to the landlord requesting return of the deposit.
              If they want to make deductions, they should reply listing each one and the reason for it.
              Until it has been legitimised (either agreed or by court order) they may not make a deduction

The non disputed part of the deposit should be returned, the rest left in the scheme until a resolution is reached

If you can't agree you can take your landlord to court for the return of your deposit.
              The evidence you have that the TV was not removed by you will assist your case

Comment

Select the correct template to request your deposit back without deductions, don't let them tag the TV to any deductions. It's easy for them to make the deductions for the TV because they have your deposit.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...mplate_letters

Comment

Originally posted by muttsang View Post

Hello and thanks for your advice!
                  I have sent them an email with all the evidence and with the email thread where they said that they'll leave a note on my account.
                  They've replied back by saying that they've sent my email to their "management" and they'll get back to me.

At this time and point, I do not think "Suspicious Activity Report" is necessary as I am not entirely sure how I'll use it? If you could elaborate, that would be really helpful as well. But I will keep SAR in mind in case I need it and try to understand what exactly it is as I had not heard of it before your advice.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll surely keep this thread updated.
                  When you send the SAR, the Data might provide further information if the landlord pursues the deduction of the TV.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X