• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need some expert advice please on a CCJ claim for damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some expert advice please on a CCJ claim for damages

Hello sorry this is long and confusing now for me

I hired a mini digger through my LTD company , it has some damages on the return of the machine and I had no insurance in place , the LTD company was loosimg money and I was desperately trying to keep it going , anyway , long short of it , when it was dropped off on hire I never signed for it and also when it was collected I never signed for it as wasn’t there at the time .

The weeks it was on hire it was paid for through my business card ,
    on return the hire shop man sent me a crazy invoice for around £6k in damages etc etc

and I knew he was trying it on

I ignored the email and a few days later he said I’ll half it to £3k if you pay now , so I called him and the call got heated and I told him I’m closing the company soon so good luck - ps this was all recorded
    and have emails of the £3k drop .
    I was told by him that’s ok I will chase you personally then , which he did somehow , so end of last year I got a CcJ from court , Ignored it and then a high writ enforcement agent came to the door , then it was coronavirus lockdown so I applied to set it aside after the timeframe which got accepted, we had a telephone hearing and I provided beforehand all evidence as above and there solicitor got his ear chewed off as they were claiming as an invoice and not specifically as a damage charge etc etc , the judge set it aside and told me to send them within 14 days that I don’t except etc etc which I did .

I thought that was it and bam I get another letter from the court 5 months later saying judgement against me , very confused now , it like either they re applied again without sending me the case or something I’m not sure about so I rang there solicitors and she said she would get back to me , I forgot as 2 months gone on and bam another high writ enforcement agent at the door 3 weeks ago then all of a sudden there solicitors have just emailed me saying

I email further to your recent correspondence with our offices.

Please see attached a Consent Order that we have drafted and will file with the Court once we have received it signed by yourself.

The Consent Order asks for the Judgment against you to be set aside and your Defence to be dealt with appropriately.

Please return the Consent Order to us signed and we will file with the Court immediately.

Kind regards

I don’t know what’s happening shall I sign it or am I being tricked and what shall I do now

sorry but I’m not sure what to do from here .

thamks for your help in advance and sorry it’s long

Lee.

Tags: None

Hi,

Some of the things you've mentioned don't quite add up and seems to be a few holes in your story.

When the judge set aside the initial CCJ, and said for you to file a defence within 14 days (I presume this is what you mean), the court claim should have continued. I can only think that either you didn't file the defence properly to the correct court, the court did not receive your defence or if it did failed to put it on record and the claimant requested default judgment, the claimant somehow managed to obtain another default judgment despite a defence being file, or the claimant has issued a separate claim and filed for a default judgment.

I think we need to start from the beginning with some questions.

1. Does the claim number on the recent letter from the court saying that judgment has been obtained match the earlier one or are they different? If they're different, it would indicate two separate claims have been issued and that needs to be resolved.

2. What did you file in your defence, are you able to post it up with personal info removed.

3. Can you provide the contents of the consent order, again personal info removed.

4. You say that you hired the digger through the ltd company, have you any evidence of that?

5. Is the ltd company still active or has it been wound down and dissolved?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X