• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal Advice :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Advice :(

Good morning to you,

I don’t want too talk to much on this story, but I’m after some advice.

Approximately 1year 1month ago my then partner, attended a police station to report fraud against her by myself.

At the time I was in a bad place having to move out due to a relationship break down, moving into Temporary housing, suicidal thoughts, mental heath etc.

I spent the next three months knowing she had gone to the police and waiting for a knock on the door and dealing with that.

Since then I have moved county (twice) and moved from one side of England to the other. Trying to rebuild my life and work on fixing myself.

Fast forward to yesterday (Friday) a phone call from a police officer (didn’t catch his name) I didn’t know what it what to start off with but obviously as the call continued I knew it was the case from 13 months before.

Obviously I know of the issue (and I’m not proud of it) however my worry is since then I have been threw a lot, and even for the average person trying to remember details this long on is impossible.

He has informed me due to me moving to a different county he would have to organise a voluntary interview for a local police to interview me instead and would be back in touch via phone next week.

I honestly can’t remember the exact details, I’m worried the Police are going to turn up at any point, and it’s not helping with the Heath issues that I thought I was over. Even managed to get myself and Job to start on Monday.

Thanks everyone!
    Tags: None

The police aren't just going to turn up on your doorstep.
    They will (eventually) contact you to arrange a "voluntary interview"

When that happens ask for the constable's name and collar number, and which station he works from.
    Then tell him you wish to be accompanied by a solicitor, and will contact him the officer when you have one arranged

Then search locally for a solicitor who does legal aid (there are a few) and tell him you need to be accompanied for a voluntary interview.
    I don't know your circumstances but you might qualify for legal aid.

Whatever you do, do not go unaccompanied.
    If the police tell you it is nothing to worry about, don't believe them.
    The interview will be under caution and recorded.
    The police use "voluntary interviews" as they are cheaper and easier than arresting people

If you cannot find a solicitor, ask the police to arrange for the duty solicitor to be present.
    It is your right to have free independent legal advice at your interview

Comment

I believe that if you are invited for an interview under caution you are entitled to a free solicitior to accompany you - find the best you can. Do not go without a solicitor under any circumstances. Ask for full details of the potential charge regarding which you are being interviewed - there are many types of fraud.

Comment

Thankyou very much for both of your replies, I have been told to expect a call from tomorrow but anytime next week.

I’m due to start work from tomorrow and am worried that I will miss the call because I don’t know exactly when they are going to call me and I am not allowed my phone at work.

Do they usually leave a voicemail or some way of being able to contact them back as last time it had no caller ID.

Thanks

Comment

Don't worry about missed calls as they will continue trying, even in the evening if necessary.

Comment

Thank-you very much I did inform the officer that I do work Monday - Friday 2pm - 10pm so hopefully that will be acted on, should I ask what is being brought against me on the phone or wait until my interview ? Thanks again

Comment

The police will not tell you.
              Your solicitor should be informed before your interview, and you will be able to discuss the matter with him prior to interview.

Comment

Thankyou I guess it’s time to just wait for the call and hope by some miracle that I get a caution or something, I will make sure I request the on duty solicitor for my interview, thanks

Comment

Well good luck, and don't be ready to accept anything the police offer by way of settlement without first discussing with your solicitor and understanding its full implications, including long term.

Comment

Hi DES8 sorry for all the questions, as confirmed earlier the Police officer that I spoke to said they would transfer the case to a Police Force nearer to me (as I moved since the complaint was made), can I request for the original police force to interview me instead and travel back up there? Also how do I get in contact with the Police officer as I did not hear his details , however I do the know the force in question? Thanks again

Comment

Just wait for the local force to contact you and ask them ?
                      I don't see why not, as it will be simpler for them, and they will be able to give you the necessary contact details

Comment

Perfect, thanks very much

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X