• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming for lost time???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming for lost time???

Hi, hope someone in the know can help with this.
    I bumped a car while coming out of a parking, the only damage was a number plate that broke.
    this has been replaced my a manufacturer at a cost of £30 which I have gladly said I am paying for.
    The other person now thinks she should be compensated for her time of getting it fixed, apparently 2x 2 hour visits to the garage and then a full day apparently going to her storage unit to find her proof of ownership for the garage(I can’t see why they would need this).
    I personally think it’s disgraceful that she would even try to ask this and as not interested in paying for her time which her apparent day rate is £2000 per day.
    Does she have any grounds to take it further should I decline to pay for her time?
    Thank you
    Tags: None

For new plates the supplier is required to have sight of the V5 document. But it's not your fault her filing system is so bad it took all day to find it. Is she claiming for her time to the garage or the time the garage charged? And why twice? If it's her time then tough. I presume the fitting was included in the £30?

ourt rate for litigant in person is £19 per hour

Comment

Thank you, that’s very helpful.
      The garage has charged £30.
      She is trying to say that I need to compensate her for her time for the 2 visits that she has made to the garage which she claims were 2 hours each time and then for a full day taken at her storage facility.

I finally had time this week to go and get the number plate replaced.

In total this entailed me visiting the garage twice (2hrs each time) and fishing out the documentation from my storage (took a day to find it)

So whilst the enc bill is only for £30.48, I have been taken away from work for a couple of valuable days to sort this out. My day rate is £2k per day, I leave it to you to compensate me reasonably so that we avoid going through Insurance.”

im not sure what not going through insurance has to do with it, she’s getting the damage fixed and insurance wouldn’t compensate for her time would they?

Thanks

Comment

She would not be successful claiming for "lost time".
        She could claim for loss of earnings, but to be successful she would need to prove her losses.
        Claiming a rate of £2000 per day does not mean she actually lost that amount.

I would suggest an email or letter (not a phone call) to your insurers telling them of the incident.
        (you should do that anyway) and let them deal with the scam.
        Tell them you have paid for the number plate and you believe she might be making a fundamentally dishonest claim

Last edited by des8; 8th April 2021, 20:59:PM.

Comment

Thank you.
          From reading up on it on line it looks like you can only claim loss of income on the basis of an injury, which has not been the case in the instance. Would that make much of a difference?

Comment

She may claim anything she wants, but whether it is a claim that will stand scrutiny is another matter.

Because of the need to mitigate one's losses, the only real reason for losing income is injury or sickness.

I would love to know how she manages to be paid £2,000 pd (£500,000 per annum) double the average of CEO's.

Comment

I would suggest that she is salaried and in fact has not lost any income

Comment

She isn’t, earning £.5mil a year, her business is on companies house and the turn over is around £48k per year so its obviously her trying her luck. The insurance company said it’s not likely something will come of it anyway.

Thank you for your points.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X