• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems at work with other employees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems at work with other employees

I have been experiencing problems with a couple of employees in the last few weeks. I've been working here for over 3 years. We have a new manager who is really quite weak and is aware that there are some problems amongst the staff but really doesn't want to get involved. I was at a loss as to why I was now being singled out for not being helped by some other guys to load and unload our vehicles each day. I had my suspicions as to who was responsible but didn't know why. I took a recording device into work and left it in my bag. I leave the canteen before the others to do some things to my vehicle and I knew that in my absence that the discussion would turn towards me. I wished I hadn't. One of the guys started to say that the company was going to perform criminal record checks. He then immediately said that I wouldn't be comfortable with that. In fact, I do have a misdemeanour on my record which is now spent. The company know this. But I'm not entirely sure how this and now other employees know of it. He then went on to say how I he had overheard me talking to our engineer a few days ago. The engineer sorted out my problem to which I joked.....'I'm going to have to give you a kiss for that'. Which was banter. But it was turned around to say that I had said it to a female customer who was nowhere near at the time. Another piped in that I was a creep and that he had been in my vehicle and found an item of ladies underwear which I had in there to use to clean the windows. I use a paper roll. He also went on to say that I hang around a fairground in my home town. That's partly true because my friend owns some fairground rides which I very occasionally help him with. Other things were said too. Noting regarding my work as it's pretty much exemplary although they did have a laugh about me asking one of them about what had happened to a customer who had gone from his home after losing his wife to cancer. So it was pretty nasty stuff. Another did pipe in with 'He's a weirdo'. There were 4 of them. I'm really not that bothered if they don't like me but they crossed a line with the things they had said above. I haven't told them or showed them that I am aware of what's being said. What can/should I do? Am I legally allowed to record them privately without them knowing? Can I do something about what must be libellous? Thank you in advance..
    Tags: None

What can/should I do?

Ignore it

Am I legally allowed to record them privately without them knowing?

Yes

Can I do something about what must be libellous?

Absolutely but legal action costs money.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
      What can/should I do?

Ignore it

Am I legally allowed to record them privately without them knowing?

Yes

Can I do something about what must be libellous?

Absolutely but legal action costs money.
      Thank you for your reply. What kind of legal costs are we talking about? May I ask if you work in the legal profession?

Comment

I'm not a solicitor but I would advise you to speak to one. They will be able to answer all your questions.

Comment

It's not small claims court, a lot higher up the chain, and costs will be in excess of 4 figures with no limit if you lose

Comment

So I should try and get it dealt with internally?

Comment

Is this the UK? Reading this made me think otherwise: I do have a misdemeanour on my record We don't use the word "misdemeanour" in our justice system but the USA do.

Comment

Yes in actual fact it is the UK. Apologies for the Americanism.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X